Chapter Fifty Six

Winter had thoroughly set in on Italy as Asteria sat outside her grandparent's cottage with a thick blanket wrapped around her shoulders

Winter had thoroughly set in on Italy as Asteria sat outside her grandparent's cottage with a thick blanket wrapped around her shoulders. The table she sat at was piled high with books she had all started to read but hadn't actually finished yet.

It had been one excruciatingly long week and Asteria had heard nothing. In truth, she didn't really expect Sirius to write but she was anxious to know about how they'd all be getting on. Most nights she lay awake thinking of what plan Avery and the others could possibly have conjured up. Surely Dumbledore knew about it. And even if he didn't, he could certainly stop whatever mayhem some seventeen year old boys would cause.

But yet Asteria hadn't heard a single word. It wasn't just that Sirius hadn't sent a letter, nobody had. In retrospect, though, she had told them not to bother writing because of the long distance.

"Asteria, are you coming inside?" Celeste called as she poked her head out from around the from door.

Asteria rolled her eyes, "Do I have to?"
"Well... no. It would be nice though." Celeste pointed out, smiling sweetly.

In truth, Celeste knew her daughter wasn't keen on seeing her grandmother in such a state. Asteria's grandmother had been becoming increasingly unhealthy and that did somewhat put a damper on the otherwise gorgeous cottage and surrounding landscape.

"I'll come inside in a bit." Asteria replied, smiling up at her mother before she disappeared back inside.

Asteria's father Antonio was out walking along the outskirts of the surrounding fields, fixing various parts of the fence. She watched drowsily before hearing a rather sudden shout from Antonio.

"Christ!"

Snapping her head up, Asteria caught sight of a rather large black owl pummelling through the air. It skimmed the top of Antonio's head as it rocketed towards Asteria, only coming to a stop as it viciously dug it's claws into the wooden table to pull it to a halt.

"What was that?" Antonio called out, holding his hand up to shield the light from his eye as he peered over at his daughter.

"N-nothing. An owl. It's nothing." Asteria replied quickly, hoping her father didn't linger too long on the idea of her communicating with the wizarding world.

She untied the letter from the bird's ankle but didn't have anything to offer it as a treat. As a response, the bird simply narrowed its eyes, appearing to scowl at the girl as it sat and waited on the corner of the table. Asteria tore open the letter and instantly recognised the scrawled handwriting that was smudged at various points up and down the parchment.

H̶e̶y̶.̶ ̶O̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶r̶?̶ ̶D̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶A̶s̶t̶e̶r̶i̶a̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶w̶e̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶.̶ ̶A̶l̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶d̶i̶o̶t̶.̶

Dear Asteria,

I'm just writing to let you know how the plan is going. Also, I miss you. L̶i̶k̶e̶,I ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶.̶ ̶O̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶p̶i̶d̶.̶ ̶

So, Prongs came up with a horrendous plan but I don't know how to tell him not to go through with it. He wants to talk to Regulus because we can't get in contact with any of the other Slytherins. I don't know, I guess I just figured you'd have the perfect solution like always. Prongs suggested sending Regulus a letter but I convinced him to at least do it face-to-face. So we have until then to come up with an alternative plan.

Things are getting quite tense here, though. I can tell not only by the headlines in the Daily Prophet but also the way James' parents are acting. Euphemia doesn't want us to leave the house and she rarely leaves herself. I just hope you're safe, I'm sure you are. Doubt You Know Who will invade Italy.

Anyway, it's also almost Christmas. So, because we won't see each other in going to say Merry Christmas. I'll give you your present when we meet up on the train because I want to see your face when you open it.

I've been writing this letter for like five minutes now and I'm not going to lie I'm very bored. How do people do this all the time? My hand is going to cramp.

I did also want to tell you about what I did the other day. Euphemia, James and I baked some gingerbread to make a gingerbread house. It was so funny, Prongs kept getting jealous that I was getting along with his Mum the best. I'm smiling now just thinking about it. Actually, just writing it makes me realise it doesn't sound that funny but whatever.

Hope you're having fun.
Merry Christmas again.
See you soon.

L̶o̶v̶e̶
Sirius.

Asteria grinned wildly just holding the letter in her hand. She hated the idea of feeling small butterflies rise in her stomach but she couldn't help it. Neatly, she folded up the letter and tucked it in between the pages of her book as a bookmark. Then, she began writing her own response with a light in her eyes and a smile on her lips.

Back in England, Sirius lay sprawled across James' bed staring up at the ceiling.

"Wow, this Christmas sure is underwhelming." He tutted.
James groaned from where he lay on the floor, with his legs resting upwards against the wall, "Honestly, I welcome you into my home for Christmas as all you can do is complain."

"Shut up." Sirius threw a pillow at James' face, "You know how much I genuinely appreciate this."

James smirked, sitting upright and hugging the pillow to his chest as he turned and looked up to Sirius, "Just admit it, you'd much rather be lying on an Italian beach somewhere with Ria."
"No offence but of course."

Sighing, James thought for a moment before his gaze fell upon the newspaper that was pushed partially under his bed. "You don't think there'll be a war, do you?"

Sirius frowned for a moment, "On a beach in Italy?"
"What? No. I mean here. Like, a wizarding war."

"Oh." Sirius replied, pushing himself up more to rest on his elbows so he could look over at James. "It feels weird. I don't know how to put it. It just... Everything feels weird. The atmosphere does feel like we're building up to something."

"I get what you mean. It's like the calm before the story. Eerie." James clarified.
"Exactly."

Suddenly, James leapt to his feet. "I know exactly what we need to do."
"What?" Asked Sirius.

"It's obvious. When we all go back to school and we're with Remus and Peter again, we need to really up our pranking game." James nodded, planting his hands on his hips.

"What are you on about?" Sirius questioned, falling back down onto the bed.

"We've been slacking recently, given all of the drama and nearly dying and stuff. I think organising a few epic pranks will really lift everyone's spirits." He suggested eagerly.
Sirius hesitated, "Something tells me the girls won't go for that. Especially Lily."

"Well they won't be involved in the pranks. I'm not talking about hexing first years or anything. We've outgrown that and I think we have a bit more class now. I mean just something that will make everybody stop and laugh together for a while." James reasoned. He really did just want everyone to forget about all of the darkness that was looming over their heads in order to have some wild fun like they used to indulge in when they were younger.

"So what's the plan, Prongs?" Sirius raised an eyebrow, the idea growing on him.

James smirked, running a hand through his hair, "I'm thinking bigger and better than ever before. I'm thinking legendary."
"Sounds like the Marauders are in business." Sirius grinned.

"Oh it's going to be unforgettable."