Thirty Three: Alone

Oikawa gulped, seeing [Name]'s helpless expression. He was thankful that it was already dark outside and the girl couldn't see his cheeks warming up. At the same time, a wave of guiltiness overflew him. How could he tell her that the reason for them becoming friends was also the bet with his teammates?

The girl was looking at Oikawa with her widely opened, teary eyes. They were still sitting in an embrace, even though the girl had already stopped crying. As the boy realised that their position could be considered awkward, he wanted to stand up. But the moment he loosened his grip on [Name]'s fragile body, something stopped him. He moved his eyes on the sleeve of his jacket to see the girl's hand lightly grasping it. He looked at her in surprise, but her face was covered by her fringe.

"Stay", the girl mumbled quietly, trying hard not to show her embarrassment and dark red cheeks. "Just for a while".

Oikawa slowly moved back to his previous position, and, once again, embraced [Name]. In the boy's arms, she seemed even smaller than usually. She hid her flushed face in his chest, trying to control the overwhelming feeling, similar to the one from when Oikawa kissed her. However, no matter what she did, she couldn't help but blush even more.

Oikawa, on the other hand, was praying for [Name] not to notice his red cheeks. He was barely resisting the urge to go and kiss her warm, shaky lips.

"Oikawa-san", he heard [Name] whispering into his chest, "your heart's beating really fast".

Oikawa widened his eyes as he realised that, indeed, his heart was racing. But how could it not race if she was so close to him? He shivered, afraid that [Name] would notice his feelings towards her. He already started thinking of an excuse, but [Name] was faster.

"My heart's also going crazy for some reason", she said without looking up at the boy.

Oikawa was left speechless for a moment. He was staring at the tip of [Name]'s head, trying to figure out what she was thinking about. Was she also hiding a blush? Did she also feel something more for him? If yes, was she aware of it?

So many questions about one, fragile girl he was holding in his hands.

"It was partly the reason why I wanted to isolate myself from you", [Name] continued murmuring into the boy's chest. "This feeling I got when I was close to you, when we k-kissed, and later, during that game, and the one I'm feeling right now - I figured it was a sign that you became important to me. And it scared me out. The more important you are to me, the more painful being hurt will be", she said. "But you didn't let me go, and I guess it's too late now".