twenty one

January 20th, 2017

"You're weird."

Camila rolls her eyes. "Thanks, Sofi. Really great for my self-esteem."

"Well, you are being weird," Sofi points out, as Camila looks in the mirror and reconsiders the black dress she'd picked out. "It's just Lauren. You see her all the time."

"Yes, but this time, it's a date," Camila argues, "it's different. I need to make her like me."

"She already likes you." Sofi replies, rolling her eyes, and Camila wonders when her little sister got so sassy. "She kissed you, which means she likes you. Why would she kiss you if she didn't like you?"

"I don't know, pity?" Camila answers, but then it hits her. What if Lauren is just pitying her? "Oh my god, it's a pity date. I have to cancel."

"You're an idiot sometimes, Kaki." Sofi replies, shaking her head. "I'm only little, and even I know that Lauren likes you a lot."

Camila just sighs, resting her head in her hands. "I just want it to be perfect, you know? No, you wouldn't know, you're six."

"I'm still smart, though," Sofi announces, "I don't understand why you're worrying so much. Teenagers are weird."

Camila huffs, but when the doorbell rings, anxiety rises in her chest. Even though she has history with Lauren – well, a Lauren – this is the first time she's ever been on an actual date with her. It's enough to make her anxiety rise.

Sofi gets up off the couch and skips to the front door, opening it, but Camila already knows it's Lauren.

"Hey, Sofi," Lauren smiles at her sister, and Camila tries to ignore all of the stress and worry she feels. "As much as I love hanging out with you, I'm here for the other Cabello tonight."

"Oh, she's in the lounge, come on," Sofi announces, and tugs Lauren into the lounge. "She's being weird tonight."

Lauren just laughs. "She's always weird."

Camila scoffs. "Hey, I'm not- whoa..."

When she sees Lauren, Camila's heart overcompensates. She's wearing a white dress that hugs her curves, which is perfect, because there's nothing Camila is more obsessed with than Lauren's curves. As Lauren gets closer, Camila realises that she'd changed out the small stud in her left nostril for a silver hoop, and she finds herself smiling, because she's always loved Lauren's nose ring.

"Hey," Lauren smiles at her, looking her over as Camila stands up. "You look beautiful. So, what's our destination, since someone can't drive?"

"Hey, I can drive," Camila announces, because technically she can. At least, this universe's Camila can, so she has a default driver's license. "I just couldn't get the car from my dad."

Lauren smiles. "I'm just teasing you. But seriously, where are we going?"

"For dinner," Camila announces, beaming when her sister sends her a thumbs up as Camila heads out of the front door with Lauren. "Don't worry, I'll put the location into your GPS."

Lauren shrugs. "Alright, I'll accept that you want to keep it secret."

"It's not super extravagant, since I'm not exactly a millionaire and I want you to be able to order something more than like, a side salad." Camila says, "but I think you'll like it."

As they get in the car, Camila reaches over and punches the restaurant's address into the GPS system on Lauren's car. Lauren watches over her shoulder and hums in thought. "That's a Cuban restaurant, right?"