Chapter Five

~~A/N- Okay. Let me just say, I never expected to get 50 reads, let alone 200. I know, it is pretty terrible compared to the super popular other writers, who get a bajillion reads per minute. I just can't believe so many people choose to click on my story, spending their time on me, rather than read a probably much better, more popular story. So . . . thank you.~~

     Hermione sat up suddenly.

     As she looked groggily around, she realized she wasn't in the Gryffindor common room. She actually didn't know where she was. But, as the room finally swam into focus, she recognized the pristine walls of the Hospital Wing. 

     "Hermione!" shouted Blaise, running toward her, earning a disapproving glance from Madam Pomfrey.

     "Blaise!" Hermione smiled up at her brother. "Er, do you mind telling me why I just woke up in the Hospital Wing?"

     Blaise looked surprised. "You don't remember?" Seeing Hermione nod, he sighed. "Well, you fainted."

     Hermione was taken aback. Why on Earth would she faint . . . oh. Oh! She was betrothed to Malfoy. Malfoy, of all people. Looking back to Blaise, she grimaced.

     "I'll take that grimace as a sign you remember what mum told you, huh?"

     Hermione nodded again, this time with a much grimmer stand point.

     "Aw, come on, 'Mione. Draco isn't so bad . . ." mumbled Blaise, quieting after seeing the snarl Hermione was sending him. He soon perked up, sensing a chance to tease his new-found sister. "Hey, that snarl could rival Malfoy's, ya know!" 

     Hermione snarled again, and threw her pillow at him, which he dodged with frustrating ease.

     "Hurry up, slow-poke! Lunch is about to start!" laughed Blaise, getting ready to head to the Great Hall. Hermione inhaled sharply. just now realizing how long she had been unconscious. She jumped up, and laughing joyfully, raced Blaise to lunch.

     **Time Skip**

     The duo skidded to a stop, panting, right outside the Great Hall. "I won!", exclaimed Blaise happily. 

     "Barely", muttered Hermione. "Er, I have to go Blaise. My friends are probably worried."

     Blaise nodded, and headed inside, towards his friends, who were obviously questioning his lack of breath.

     Hermione took a steading breath, before stepping in as well, but headed to the Gryffindor table.

     "Hermione!" exclaimed Harry, Ginny, and Ron in unison. They immediately began questioning her absence from class, which she was only able to catch snippets of.

     "Calm down, guys! I simply wasn't feeling well, so I went to the Hospital Wing to lay down," said Hermione loudly, attempting to explain. She only hoped they didn't ask why they weren't notified. Wait, why weren't they notified? She would have to ask Blaise about that later.

    Her friends muttered to themselves a bit, before seeming to accept her story.

     "So, 'Mione, how's Blaise?" started Ginny feebly, trying to strike up a conversation between the silent Gryffindors.

     Hermione grimaced, then immediately paled, hoping her friends hadn't noticed. Thankfully, they hadn't, but Hermione needed to be more careful from now on. She didn't want to worry her friends with her ferret issue right now. 

     "Oh, you know how he is," she said vaguely. Ginny nodded slowly, obviously trying to comprehend her answer. "So, what did I miss in class? I hope I didn't miss anything important!" said Hermione worriedly. 

     Harry and Ron shared an exasperated look, before explaining class to Hermione.

**Time Skip**

     Hermione ran out of class, desperate to talk to her brother about what she had found unusual at lunch. Spotting him by his friends, she slowed to a walk and approached the Slytherins.

     "Hey, Blaise?" Hermione started, unsure how to question him in front of his friends.

     "What?" Blaise responded sharply, without turning to look at her. His sharpness shocked her, as she was only used to him being nice to her. "Well? I don't have all day. Speak!" All his friends (except Malfoy, strangely) laughed cruelly at Hermione's deflating expression as Blaise finally turned around to face her.

     "O-oh! Hermione, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize it was you!" Blaise seemed genuinely upset he had been rude to his sister, but the damage had been done. Hermione now saw the Blaise she had known as a younger girl; cruel and unkind. He hadn't changed. None of them had.

     "No, I'm sorry. Sorry I interrupted your oh-so-important conversation. I'll leave. Besides, there was no way what I had to say could be more important than whatever you were talking about," Hermione retorted. She glared at Blaise, then let it carry over to Malfoy, who seemed confused,  before storming off. 

     Blaise looked helplessly at his friends. Making up his mind, he glanced at the retreating back of his sister and nodded at Malfoy before following Hermione.  

**Time Skip**

     "Hermione! I'm sorry!" Blaise said, as he rushed to keep up with Hermione, who was still torn between being heartbroken and being absolutely furious. She chose furious.

     "I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT! I ACTUALLY THOUGHT YOU HAD CHANGED! BUT IT WAS ALL AN ACT! You haven't changed at all. You were lying to me." Hermione cried. She was on the verge of a melt down, but she was determined not to let Blaise see her at such a vulnerable position. She would shed no tears in front of him.

     Blaise looked hurt, but Hermione stayed strong. He was in the wrong, so why should she feel bad? "Oh, Hermione. I don't know how to make this better. I do understand where you're coming from, though. I am a mean spirited. I don't know why I act so cruel to everyone I don't really care about. I suppose its just me."

     "Listen, Blaise," started Hermione, as she slowed to a stop, and sank to the floor. "I'm going to be very honest right now. I don't care why you did it. I'm just upset because I actually thought you had changed. That you were at least polite to people. I guess I was completely off, huh?"

     Blaise could only look at the ground in shame. 

     "I don't want to see you, or any Slytherin, frankly, for a while, okay? So . . . just stay away. Both of you." Hermione walked away without elaborating who the second person was, but Blaise had a good idea of who she was talking about.

     Blaise respected Hermione immensely, but he had no intention to stay away. He would make it up to her one way or another, That he was sure of.

~~A/N- So, there it is. Chapter Five, finished. Many apologies for the wait, but school was a hassle, and now that its over, I have more hassle, somehow. Writing does keep me sane though, so hopefully I'll do it more often. I own nothing but the plot, and the rest goes to the best author ever; J. K. Rowling. Bye for now!~~

-IronSword56 :D