Ch. 2

I want to kill him, he never listens! "Just go stand by her then. That way he'll notice you." I suggest, urging Alix for the tenth time to talk to the Senator's wife so that he could get an introduction. We're using a charity dinner to open up and promote talks of building a bigger port out of Savannah, Georgia. Alix secured the company before he took over Greco Shipping International or G.S.I as most call it. Seizing the opportunity to buy a struggling company without his father ever knowing, branching off into more responsibilities and more financial rewards, if we play our cards right.

    However, this type of development has to go through boards, trustees, and committees. All of them are important votes or signatures that we need to move forward in the expansion. So, until any final decisions are made we have meetings with the men and women of these groups. Not all of these meetings are on the books, so to speak. Nope, we hunt them down like animals. For the most part we are successful. We've already greased the wheels of the State Secretary and we have 4 of the 6 Commerce Board Committee members backing us. Alix Greco leaves nothing to chance, he is very persistent. A fact I admire and encourage, but he also makes me want to take my scarf off and wrap it around his neck, tightly. Because another part of Alix's personality is stubbornness and I can't seem to win when it shows it ugly head.

I haven't determined if he hates most women or simply can't tolerate them. The Senators wife is a doozy too. With more makeup on her face then Ronald McDonald and a wandering eye, or so it seems. Alix refuses to set into motion my plan! Simply charm her until she introduces him to her husband. It won't take all night, only an hour, 2 tops! However, when Alix refuses to do something he is unmovable.

"Alix, we're almost there." I whine, close to pouting which I blame on my lack of sleep. "Just an hour of flirting. That's not too much to ask for."

He shakes his head, a smirk tugging at the corner of him mouth. He's enjoying my frustration. "Not going to happen." He states, with a finality that only could come from him. Like a nail in the proverbial coffin.

My shoulders slump in defeat. "Fine. I'll trade you." I grumble, turning towards a group of men surrounding Senator Jones. Knowing this is the only way we can get this done. I just want to go back to the hotel to get some rest.

"What are the terms?" He asks, already aware of the game we play. A while back we started to trade favors when we would disagree on how to deal with certain problems or situations. Its a bartering game of sorts that has always worked out for both of us.

I look up at him. "You have to butter up Alan Beaudry's wife next time we see them. You always stick me with them and all he talks about are his dogs and his psoriasis." I say, thinking in the back of my mind the best way to approach the Senator.

He smirks, "He's harmless."

I roll my eyes, "So, deal?" I ask, wanting to get this over with.

"Fair enough." He replies and I straighten my shoulders. Before I can walk away I feel his hand on my arm, stopping me. "What are you doing?" He questions.

I look at him in exasperation. "What does it look like? I'm getting you the port expansion you want."

His eyes narrow as he asks suspiciously, "What are you going to do?"

    I tilt my head to the side, weighting the many options of sarcastic remarks that pop into my head. "Obviously, I'm going to sleep with him." I answer, trying hard not to smile. "Can't wait. Its going to be magical. I wonder if his wife will join. Maybe she can give me some makeup tips." I add in fake excitement.

    The glare that greets me is the one I've been dealing with for the last couple of months. Working exactly as predicted seven days a week, flying from one place to another. Its been a challenge and in many ways rewarding. However, I'm starting to realize we know far too much about one another. Which is why he got such a ridiculous response. Does he really think I would sleep with someone to help him get his port built? Moron.