Chapter 37

Once we're back inside, we dart up to my room for safety. Have you noticed how often I need safety?

"Emma!" Hunter calls before Brynn and I can seclude in my room for the next week.

I groan and turn around slowly. "What?"

"Leo wants to talk to you in his room." Hunter smiles at my reaction.

"Why?" I moan.

This is a trap. Definitely a trap. What kind of trap or why, I do not know.

"I don't know. Go and see for yourself."

I glance at Brynn. She shakes her head. Clearly she thinks this is a bad idea. I could not agree more.

"I wouldn't ignore him. You don't wanna spend this whole time locked in you're room do you?" Hunter crosses his arms and raises an eyebrow at me.

Jokes on you, I was planning on doing that anyways.

"Fine." I sigh.

Brynn follows behind me as I reluctantly make my way to my oldest brother's room. Leo and Alexander are sitting inside. Leo in the desk chair and Alexander perched on the bed. They're tossing one of those little foam footballs between each other.

"Hi." I say after a minute of them not realizing we're there.

"Hey shorty." Alexander greets me.

"I'm surprised you actually showed up. I thought you were definitely gonna hide from me." Leo smirks at me and catches the little ball without taking his eyes off me.

Yeah. We get it. You used to play football. Show off.

"So what'd you want?" I ask.

"I don't want mom to know what goes on here while she's gone. And you and Brynn are the only people that would tell on me." He points in our direction before throwing the ball back to Alexander.

"Uh huh."

This isn't going to end well. I think we all know where this is going.

"So you can't tell mom what happens." Leo finishes.

"Mom said you aren't allowed to threaten us." I cross my arms and glare at my brother.

Wow. Look at that. I'm standing my ground. It's probably not a safe decision, but it's a nice change. Don't you think?

Leo smirks at Alexander and climbs out of his chair.

"I'm not threatening you. I'm just saying that you can't tell mom what happens here." Leo crosses his arms right back.

"I'm smart enough to realize if I don't agree then you'll threaten me not to tell." I grumble.

"Are you really?" Alexander grins at me.

"Shut up." I hiss.

"Yeah but if you disagree this time, I'm not threatening you. I'll just do whatever without giving you any warning." Leo smirks down at my best friend and I.

"You're not allowed to torment us." I remind him of mom's rules.

"Since when do I follow the rules? And I won't do anything to you. If you don't tell on us."

Leo's smarter than he looks. And acts. My smarts must be wearing off on him. It's only taken 14 and a half years.

I continue to glare.

I'd rather not have my oldest (and strongest and tallest and scariest and most threatening) brother angry at me within an hour of my mom leaving for her week. It might be a good decision to just agree with him.

Looks like my 'standing my ground' thing didn't last long.

But what is Leo planning?

"Well what are you planning to do?" I ask.

"That's none of your business." Leo says, marching towards me.

I jump backwards and nearly flatten Brynn. She ends up falling backwards onto her butt after my sudden movement.

Leo heads out his bedroom door and towards the stairs. I chase after him.

"Yeah it is. I live here too." I complain, my much smaller strides are making me need to jog to match Leo's pace.

"I'm in charge." Leo snorts at my efforts to catch him as he climbs down the stairs.

"Mom never specifically said that." I point out.

I glance back at Brynn who I'd just left sprawled on the floor. Alexander's busy pulling her to her feet.

Leo turns and glares at me.

Now, Leo has reached the bottom of the stairs but I'm still on the third one. This means I'm pretty much in line with his eye sight for once.

"You really wanna do this right now shorty? This isn't gonna help your situation." He growls.

I shrink back. Leo notices and smiles at reaction.

I huff and turn on my heel, making sure to let my hair slap Leo in the face as I head back up the staircase. Leo sighs and moves along to the kitchen.

Alexander is back in Leo's room doing who-knows-what and Brynn has made it safely back to my sanctuary.

I sigh and flop onto my bed.

"What did he say?" Brynn asks nervously.

"He wouldn't tell me." I reply. "That's probably better though. I don't wanna be nervous for whatever he's planning."

"Yeah." Brynn agrees. "We could always go to my house sometime. Your mom just said you can't spend the whole time at my house. And Leo would let you in exchange for not telling."

"That's true."

Brynn always has good ideas. Just one of the many reasons I love her.

———————————————————————

I have been super busy lately with school ending so my updates were very, very slow. Clearly. Now I'm a little less busy so I'm hoping I can update once a week again.