Thirteen

The following week, Benjamin's bruises had almost completely faded and it seemed as if things were back to normal.

He hasn't had many interactions with Katen aside from the typical name-calling.

Benjamin laughs at Lucas. "Lucas, you have the attention span of a five-year-old. Stop looking at her ass!"

"Can't deny the cake," Lucas says as he scrolled on his Instagram feed.

Benjamin laughs again, before grabbing Noah's hand. He was being distant from the conversation, not engaging whatsoever. "Are you okay?"

"Yea," Noah responds in a monotone voice.

Benjamin glances over to Lucas who just shrugs. The bell rings and the group disperses. Noah and Benjamin sit down together in their first period.

Benjamin frowns. "Noah? What's wrong?"

"I'm fine. I just told you."

Benjamin nods his head. "Okay...you're sure?"

"Yes, baby, I promise."

*
When lunch rolled around, Lucas and Noah were at a team meeting in the gym with their coach.

Benjamin heads to the music room, knowing it's always empty during lunch.  He sits up, placing his hand down on the piano keys, beginning to play whatever sheet music was sitting there.

"Oh! I'm sorry." A girl had walked in, holding her lunchbox in her hands.

Benjamin stops playing and looks over at her. "Oh, it's fine."

"You're really good." She walks into the music room, taking a seat in a chair next to the piano.

"Thanks. I took piano lessons for five years. I grew out of it but...I still somehow know how to play."

"That's cool...I'm Gabriella, Gabi for short."

"I'm Benjamin. Ben for short...Or Benny...Benji. Whatever you'd like." Benjamin smiles.

"Why are you alone in here?"

"Um. Well, my friends aren't here so I decided to skip lunch. Not many people like me."

"Oh, are you Evans?"

"Yup...that's me," Benjamin responds.

"Oh. Whatever, if I'm being completely honest, they're super annoying. I don't really have any friends here. I didn't know anyone else ate lunch in here."

Suddenly, Lucas and Noah appear to grab Benjamin so they can go get lunch before it was over.

Benjamin glances at them before back to Gabi. "Hey, guys. This is Gabi. And that's Noah and Lucas."

Lucas waves at her. "Hi, Gabi."

Noah sits down by Benjamin, kissing his temples. "Did you eat lunch?"

"Not yet, my lunch box is right there." Benjamin points to the lunch box, sitting on one of the empty chairs.

"You should eat it."

Benjamin grabs his salad, beginning to eat. Noah smiles at him, before putting his fingers on the keys.

Gabi raises her eyes brows. "You play piano too?"

Noah asks as he flips the sheet music. "Yup and guitar. Wanna sing for me, Benny?"

He looks around at Lucas and Gabi. He shakes his head. "I have to eat, remember?"

**
They'd stayed in the music room all during lunch, where they got to know more about Gabi.

The bell rings, indicating lunch was over. Benjamin stands up, looking down at Noah. "Walk me to my locker?"

"Come on."

Benjamin smiles at Gabi. "We should get lunch again. Text me!" Benjamin grabs Noah's hand, them walking out of the music room.

Gabi smiles at him before looking at Lucas. "Are they dating?"

"Uhm...not sure with those two. Can't decipher if they are or just really close friends."

Gabi nods. "Okay. I have to get to my locker. Do you wanna come with me?"

Lucas nods. "Sure."

Noah closes Benjamin's locker and they walk down the hallway to Benjamin's next class. "Oh. Wanna come over after school?" Noah asks.

"Sure. Let me just text my mom but I'm sure she'll be okay with it."

"Alright."

Kiara follows the two as they had the same class together, but listened in on their conversation.

Noah pushes Benjamin to the side, leaning down to whisper. "Maybe we can even, make out a little."

Benjamin pushes Noah's chest, laughing. "You'd like that of course. Get off of me!" He responds playfully.

Benjamin kisses his hand before placing it on Noah's cheek.
The bell rings. "Get to class." Benjamin winks at him.

Benjamin smiles before walking into the classroom. He sees Gabi, smiling. "It's so weird how we've been in the same class for a while and haven't noticed each other."

"I know. Maybe cause we're both introverted shy kids?"

"You? Introverted? Please." Benjamin responds.

Gabi leans closer to Benjamin. "So. Are you and Noah like dating?"

"Um...nothing official." Benjamin shrugs.

"Well, we should totally hang out. It would be so much fun." Gabi suggests.

"I'm going to his house after school, so tomorrow?"

Kiara scoffs, walking over to them. "Okay, Benjamin, we get it. We get it, you have Noah, so you're all happy but I don't give a shit!"

Benjamin furrows his brows. "I wasn't even talking to you. Let alone, care. And if you didn't give two shits, then why are you over here, tearing up and yelling at me?"

Kiara gulps and backs away from their table.

**

Kiara fixes her makeup, tears falling from her face. Gabi walks in, gasping. "Oh, I'm sorry."

"No- it's fine...I'm fine." Kiara says, setting her paper towel down.

"What's wrong?" Gabi asks.

"Benjamin! Why does he always get what he wants?" Kiara wipes her eyes again.

"Really? Do you really see it that way?"

"Huh?"

"Him, being a gay male in America, he just wants to be accepted and treated equally. But when you and your group of friends tear him down."

"You don't understand anything. Who even are you?" Kiara asks, wiping her tears.

"Benjamin told me some things...And I can guess the rest. I mean, you guys were best friends, and all of a sudden Katen is all high and mighty. But what good had he brought? The money he gives you guys? That's called lust, what you had with Benjamin was genuine and real."

"You don't even know him."

"What I know, is that you think he gets what he wants, but when you and your friend bully him it tears him down even more. Noah is just supporting him."

Gabi walks out of the bathroom, walking away. Kiara bites her lip, taking a deep breath. Maybe Gabi was right.

**