Chapter Two

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

-VampireRoses1223

"I want to break up."

I stopped squirming in my chair from joy. My excited and eager smile dropped instantly. My body temperature plummeted faster than the economy. And last but not least, my hummingbird heart was shot down dead.

"What..?" I whispered confused and in a dream like daze. Surely this had to be a dream. It was all too good, and now all too sudden.

"I know this is rather sudden, but I felt like it was the best time to tell you how I feel." He let my hands drop to my side as he stood up and went back to his chair. "I've been thinking we should break up for a while now, I mean, it was a good 5 years, but... People change, they go in different directions, they grow apart..."

I was in compete shock and utter denial. I couldn't say anything. And even worse, I couldn't do anything...

"Wait." I said putting my hands on the table, turning back towards him and letting out a shaky, airy laugh. "So you want to break up..? Why here? Why now? After all this time, you decide to do it on our 5 year anniversary?" I asked in disbelief.

"I just wanted you to have a good 5 year anniversary... I wanted to give you one last final gift." He smiled sympathetically at me.

I looked down at my plate of salad, and I felt the tears start to rim my eyes again, but this time, it definitely wasn't from joy.

I let out another shaky laugh. "And here I was thinking you'd finally propose." I muttered to myself, laughing in between words.

It was quiet for a few moments, except for the wind blowing my curled hair into my face. The roses seemed a lot less vibrant now, and the candles were already half melted and the flames were being blown out by the gusts of wind.

Ryan averted his gaze, and went back to eating his salad while I was caught in a web of my own thoughts. Debates were going off in my head, whether it was his fault or mine, whether I should ask whose fault it was, whether I should ask why he broke up with me in the first place, and whether or not I should just leave.

But something kept me from leaving. This thin line of attraction I had grown to accept suddenly seemed to wrap tightly around my throat, forbidding me from speaking my mind to Ryan, who seemed like a distant stranger just then.

Probably unable to take the uncomfortable silence any longer, he awkwardly got up, pulled out his wallet and tossed down $300. He looked away from me, and then at me, and then to the door, all while running his hand through his semi-spiked up hair.

He then looked back at me, and began to walk over. He stopped just right in front of me and leaned down. "I'm sorry." He whispered, kissing my forehead gently.

The kiss seemed to linger for a while, as if he was savoring the last time he'd ever get to kiss me again. The last time I'd ever get to feel him kiss me again.

"Goodbye." He slowly pulled away, and began walking out the door and into the elevator. I held my breath as I saw him stand there and give me a last goodbye smile, and the doors closed with a familiar ding.

And that's when the thin ribbon of attraction faded, untying itself from around my tight throat. And that's when I let myself go. I grabbed the table napkin, and pressed my face into it as I sobbed uncontrollably.

Happy 5th Anniversary.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

My hands tightened around the wheel of my car until my knuckles turned white. Tears dripped down onto my knuckles and cascaded down my wrists and onto my dress and lap.