Chapter 22

Dedicated Chapter Song: Dead! - My Chemical Romance

And if your heart stops beating I'll be here wondering. Did you get what you deserve? The ending of your life.
(Levi, Anna, Hysteria)

While Reiner took the bait and became distracted by Eren, Anna flew at a low profile through the city, killing off any and all Resurrected she came across regardless of who they were

While Reiner took the bait and became distracted by Eren, Anna flew at a low profile through the city, killing off any and all Resurrected she came across regardless of who they were. To her, and to everyone else, they were just ghosts. Zombies, even. Less than human. Some soldiers fell victim, however, resulting in minor casualties that Anna cursed Hysteria for causing.

“Where are you, demon bitch?” Anna mumbled, scanning every alleyway, every building for signs of Hysteria. “Anna!” Cayden’s voice echoed. Anna grinded to a halt, skidding across the cobblestone streets. Cayden stood a few feet away from her with his hands in the air. “...sister...”

“...asshole.” Anna replied. “So, you're really my brother, huh? Gotta say... I'm very disappointed.”

“Do you honestly think this is what I want to be?!” Cayden let out a laugh, which turned into near crying. “I hate myself...I hate my life... I don't want to be the enemy.”

“Then help me fight Hysteria.” Anna offered out her hand.

“I want to. I want to so, sooo bad, Oneesan,” he dropped his head in shame, his soft brown locks falling into his eyes. “But I can't. I can't because I've sold everything to her. My whole life. I thought she'd fix me. I thought she'd make me a better person. I thought...I thought...I was wrong.”

“...Cayden...please...tell me how to stop her.” Anna begged. “We can end this together!”

“I don't think so,” Hysteria crooned, walking out from behind Cayden with a vicious smirk on her lips. Cayden froze, a terrified look on his face. “You should've told me sooner, Cayden,” Hysteria ran her index finger along a very long, very sharp blade. “I would've killed you, much, much sooner.”

“What's your goal here, Hysteria?” Anna straightened her back. “Is it to kill me? Are you jealous? Do you want Levi to yourself?”

“He is a rather fine meal, wouldn't you say? When half of humanity is abolished, I'll make sure he's by my side to get a good look at it.”

“So that's your plan,” Anna noted. “To wipe out half of humanity?”

“My plan is to kill any and all souls who try to harm my children,” she motioned towards the Titans raiding the city. “Your friends just so happen to be the very same people who wish to do so. If I have to bring all of humanity to its knees and start over, then so shall it be. I'll enjoy eating all your pathetic hearts out!” she giggled. “Tell me, Annalise,” her voice quieted to a more serious tone. “do you honestly think you will win? Honestly, doll, why are you fighting against a cause that created you? I should've killed you when I had the chance.”