22. Drama & Zen

"Mom?"

"Hello, Jihyun," her voice is flat. Something that would normally make me feel uneasy is actually bringing me relief right now. If something had happened, something bad, I'm pretty sure that she wouldn't sound as calm as she sounds now. "How are you?"

"Okay," I frown. "What's up? It's almost 10 PM, you never call me this late?"

Or at all, but you know, who's paying attention to that?

"I wanted to talk to you, Jihyun."

"Okay?"

"Your father and I went out for dinner tonight," she tells me. Wait, what, we're doing small talk now? Kook raises his eyebrows, wondering what the heck is going on but I just shrug, seeing as I'm as clueless as he is. "We ran into Namjoon and his father at the restaurant."

Fuck.

Fuckidy fucking fuck.

"Did you now?"

"Yes," she responds and I finally understand why she sounds professional – that's the tone I get when I'm in trouble. "And Namjoon had a few interesting things to say."

"Did he now?"

Jungkook pulls my hand, trying to draw my attention but I wave him off, because mom starts talking again. "Yes, he did. I was very surprised to hear that the two of you are no longer together."

Well, it's not like it was a secret. The only reason I haven't told her is because we haven't talked since it happened. A few 'Are you alive' texts were exchanged but that was it. And to be completely honest, I didn't have a particular desire to talk about it with anyone, much less two shrinks that are my parents. They can turn an everyday conversation into therapy hour. "Yeah. We broke up."

Jungkook suddenly can tell exactly what the conversation is about and I am not surprised when worry clouds his face. He knows. He knows this is not a conversation I want to have, especially not with my parent. "And you didn't think of informing me?" mom asks, making me look away from him and remember just why I don't want to talk to her about things like these.

"Honestly, no," I respond in a heartbeat. "I was too busy dealing with it on my own and I didn't feel like having a heart to heart with you. I could have let you know but I really just didn't feel like talking about it," I crack a smile when I see Kook raise his fist in the air, as if he's celebrating my victory.

"Were you busy?" Mom asks.

"Yeah, I was."

"I wonder what kept you so preoccupied when Namjoon mentioned you're not going to classes these days?"

I'm going to strangle Hobi. And just to be safe, I will strangle Yoongi and Jimin too.

This is what happens when you have friends that are also friends with your ex. They talk with the ex as much as they talk to you. While I see nothing wrong with them being besties with Namjoon, I do have a problem with their joint effort to throw me under the bus my mother is driving. If they're going to pull shit like this, I'm going to make them pick a side.

At gunpoint.

"I wonder why you're talking in such a tone when I'm a grown up?" I sigh as I lean back into the couch. The worst thing about having shrinks for parents is that you were taught to keep your voice down and have a rational discussion. So even now, when I kind of want to scream at her and hang up, I need to sound calm and rational. "It's not like I decided to throw my education into the trash – I just wanted a few days away from everything."