132. IRL

Cece and Paul sat in the hospital waiting room. Today was the day that they would have their first scan, and see the baby for the first time.

"You're wrong," Cece said. "If Stefan didn't save Matt, Elena never would have turned and season 4 basically wouldn't have happened."

"Not true," Paul argued. "Some of the storylines would have had to change, but we could still have worked with human Elena."

"And dead Matt?" she asked.

"I'm just saying, everyone would have gotten over Matt's death eventually, but Elena being a vampire causes so many more problems."

"Aka, so many more amazing storylines," she said with a grin, before glancing around with excitement. "I can't believe we're 10 weeks," she said. "In 30 weeks, we're gonna be parents!"

"It sounds so scary when you say it like that," Paul laughed.

"I'm so excited to see it!" she said.

"Cecilia Wasilewski," the doctor called, coming out of her room and smiling reassuringly at them as they stood up.

They followed her into a small room and she shook both of their hands.

"I'm Dr Griffin. It's Cecilia and Paul right?"

"Right," Cece said. Dr Griffin smiled reassuringly at them.

"Great. Please lie back here and lift your shirt up," she said. Cece leaned back on the bed and Paul sat in the seat behind her. Lifting up her shirt, she exposed her miniscule bump. "Have you had any pain or discomfort?"

"No," Cece said as the doctor squirted gel onto her stomach and pressed the small machine to her abdomen. Moving it backwards and forwards, she turned a screen to face them.

"You see that," she said, pointing to a small blob on a black background. "That's your baby." She pushed again to try and get a clearer image. "That's the head, the shoulders, arms... the legs are there. If you come back in a few weeks the picture will be a lot clearer. Now, let's see if we can get a heartbeat."

After a few seconds, the sound of a heartbeat filled the room. Cece looked over at Paul and saw that his eyes were filled with tears, causing her own eyes to fill in the same way.

"From what I can see, your due date is... October 20th. But don't be surprised if you go into labour before or after this, hardly anyone delivers on their actual due date."

She removed the machine from Cece's stomach and printed out a few pictures of the ultrasound.

"Here you go," she said. "Everything looks completely fine. You can book your next appointment from the front desk."

"Thank you," Paul said.

"Oh, can we start telling people now? Just, like, friends and family?" Cece asked, mesmerised by the scan picture.

"Sure," Dr Griffin said. "It's fine to tell friends and close family now, but for a bigger announcement, I'd wait until you're at 12 weeks, just to be on the safe side."

"Great, thank you," Cece said, taking her phone out of her pocket as she left the room.

"Are you telling the groupchat?" Paul asked with a grin.

"Of course," Cece grinned back. She couldn't think of anyone that she's rather share the news with first than their best friends.