Chapter Ten: Not Quite Dead

Red and black.

Robin gasped for air, his hands grappling fruitlessly at the noose tightening around his neck. He couldn't breathe, couldn't get loose--

Suddenly a shout erupted through the onlooking crowd and the air whistled; then the rope holding him up snapped and Robin fell, rolling from the gallows and hitting the cobbles hard.

Absolute chaos ensued.

For a split second, Robin could only take huge gasps for air, everything else a blur. Then he felt a sudden hand wrap around his wrist and yank him forcefully to his feet.

The world spun. Faintly, Robin saw a flash of gold hair among the crowd, vanishing into the pandemonium.

"Come on, Hood, let's go!"

It took Robin a second to register that he knew the voice, his feet moving on their own accord as they plunged into the crowd.

Elanor?

Then everything fell into place. Elanor, not standing with the others. Legolas himself hadn't been with them either, nowhere in sight next to the King.

"Get out of the way, out of the way!"

Robin snapped back to reality at the harsh shouting orders breaking the air-- soldiers raced through the crowd of frantic onlookers, heading toward where he and Elanor raced.

Oh, good Mordor.

Forcing himself to run faster, Robin raced beside Elanor, yanking his hood up around his face. "What kind of orcish rescue is this?!"

Green eyes flashed under her own hood. "Excuse me?"

A sudden flash of silver came into view and Robin ducked under a Gondorian soldier's fist, kicking the man's legs out from under him and leaping over his head.

They ran faster.

"I mean, I honestly appreciate the attempt, but is it an honest coincidence that you got to play the executioner? Because I would have to voice my many doubts."

The Ranger made a noise that sounded like a mix between a curse and a grunt, running faster and taking the lead. Hearing the pounding feet behind him, Robin realized he had no choice but to follow her.

Bloody hell.

"Ai, I hope this isn't another trap, love!"

They broke out from behind the crowd, shoes slapping on the stone. Elanor raced down the street toward the lower part of the city, her black cloak billowing behind her.

People streamed down the same streets, making it easier to blend in. But Robin could still hear his pursuers.

He cursed under his breath, running after Elanor. He didn't like putting his fate in the hands of other people.

Especially people who were not his biggest fan.

Suddenly, he realized Elanor was gone, lost among the chaos. Slowing to a stop, Robin spun in a circle, searching the crowded streets.

Somewhere at his back, the shouts and sound of pounding feet drew closer-- he had nowhere to go.

Robin wondered faintly what he had done to anger the Valar so.

"Good Valar, Hood, do you want to be gutted today? Let's go!"

Robin whirled around right as Elanor grabbed his arm, yanking him sideways through the swarm into a small darkened shop. She quickly shut the door behind her, the bolt clicking as she slid it tight.