Chapter 14 - Double Trouble

XIMENA

Greg was surprised when I asked him for Lewis' number, and looked slightly horrified when I told him I wanted to invite Luke and Michael to spend a Saturday with me. Lewis asked me several times if I was sure I wanted to do that, and said the boys could be intense and busy. I don't mind active children as I did my good share of babysitting growing up and I know how kids behave. Nothing that some structure and kindness can't solve. The doorbell rings and I head downstairs to receive my little guests. When I open the door, the boys almost tackle me and talk at the same time asking what we will do and if we are going somewhere.

"Hey guys, why don't you head upstairs while I talk with your dad. I promise I'll tell you all about it."

The boys run up the stairs, making a lot of noise and I'm glad that Greg isn't at his house, otherwise he would have thought elephants ran through the place. I turn to Lewis who seems a bit embarrassed by the boys' behavior.

"Good morning! I find little boys so much fun. They are so full of energy."

"I hope you still think the same when I come to pick them up," Lewis gives me a small smile. "I got some stuff for them here," he places two backpacks inside. "They don't seem to go more than a few hours without spilling something on their clothes. I'll be at the market and I should be done before dinner."

"Lewis, would you like some coffee?"

My question takes him off-guard seeing that he stares at me, shakes his head and nods. We walk upstairs and find the boys nesting on the couch where I had been sitting and eating the fruit I cut for my breakfast.

"Guys-"

"Don't you worry," I place my hand on his arm to stop him from scolding them. "It's kids eating fruit, quite a blessing in my books. I have more that I can cut for myself. Do you take sugar and cream in your coffee?"

"Just black coffee is fine. I'm sorry we are a bit later than I said we would, but Luke thought it was funny to run around the house naked and then play air guitar with his... His thing. I shouldn't even be talking about this," Lewis says as he takes a sip.

I laugh and Lewis watches me with amusement. "That's hysterical. What else do they do?"

"Too many stories to tell over a quick coffee," he smiles brightly and it's beautiful.

"Then I hope we have a chance to talk longer soon."

I don't explain what I mean further, but I hope that again my friendliness isn't misconstrued as a request for a date.

"Sure, you make the coffee and I'll bring the sweets. Guys, a word," he says and the boys turn their attention from the TV to him. "Ximena is the boss while you are with her, so you will do whatever she asks you and you need to behave. If you don't, she will tell me and there will be no more fun dates with her. Understand?"

"Yeah," they say.

"Everything will be okay. I know where to find you if I need you," I give him a path on his shoulder.

"Are you sure you want to do this? They always terrorize Greg," he chuckles.

"Greg needs to become a bit more flexible around them, they are only kids. Guys, your daddy is leaving and he was nice enough to bring you here. Why don't you give him a hug to thank him?"

"Ximena-"

The boys look at each other and shrug. Luke stands up and Michael follows him, then they each get on either side of Lewis and hug him. He kneels and hugs them tighter, a grin appearing on his handsome face. The boys smile at their father and return to the couch to continue watching cartoons. Lewis watches them in awe and I move closer to him and give him a kiss on his cheek.