Chapter | 04

04
______________________________

The rest of the day goes by smoothly, not bothered by the so-called bad boy, Ashton. I spent lunch as usual, just sitting at my favourite spot under a tree, while securing a book safely in my hands and eating an apple. No one usually botheres to speak to me at lunch, so I was left alone in peace, listening to the book which spoke to me. I listened attentively as the book unfolded, as the words danced beautifully to the song playing in my mind, forming a harmonic routine, before reaching my eardrums.

It is amazing how life in a fictional book is perfect. It may not be because of it not having bad moments, but because everything is so beautifully planned and organised. Everything is in order, just the way you want it-- no mistake. Too bad life isn't some fictional book you choose from a shelf in a library. It's inevitably imperfect. No matter how hard you try to change its course, there's always something waiting for you, further down the road you're taking, ready to pounce on you and steer you in an inevitable sundry direction.

After my lonely, but rather relaxing and peaceful lunch, I dragged my butt to another reason why I long for distant graduation day to come--- gym class. That's where I have been for the passed three minutes after changing my clothes into a black pair of shorts and a blue T-shirt with the school's crest.

My eyes skim through the familiar tracks, bustling with jocks and people who decided that it will be fun to skive. Scanning through the other students, my eyes fall on the one girl who made sure that I will dread the day that I befriended her. Mia Blackwell. Co-captain of the cheerleading team and my former best friend. I watch how her perfect raven-black hair falls effortlessly in shiny and curly waves on her shoulders. Her perfect green eyes still continue to brighten up one's day, but it's so ironic how someone can produce so much light, even though trapped inside of them is pitch-black darkness.

I remember how I used to hold her in my embrace, back in sophomore year as her tears poured out because she had experienced her first break-up. That night she had demanded a sleepover, claiming it will help ease her heartbreak. We spent the whole night wrapped in blankets, while watching action movies and eating our favourite cookies and cream flavoured ice-cream.

We spent the whole night talking about whatever decided to roll out of our tongues at that moment and we didn't fall asleep until late. I valued our friendship, our bond and every memory we created throughout the years. Then one day, an infuriated Mia stood in front of me with her once towering height-- not anymore-- and started throwing false accusations at me. Apparently there had been a rumour that her ex-boyfriend cheated on him with me. No words had left my mouth after hearing that. My tongue had been cut and I was too dumbfounded at hearing that some people were so bored that they had to spread such a false rumour.

If rumours were to never exist, I wonder if there would still be any conversation left among the learners.

A whistle blows me out of my reverie, and my attention falls to the woman wearing a tracksuit and calling everyone to gather around. We all quickly follow her instruction and we stand in front of her in a straight line.

"Morning, students. I'm Ms Pumpkin, and if you think that's funny, then we'll see who will be laughing at the end of the day." Not many giggles can be heard because of her threatening demeanor, and judging by her strict voice, one can see that she is a tough nut.

"Before we begin, I want two laps. Now!" Everyone scurries along the field. My legs soon pick up the pace, with each quick step carrying me closer to the end of the tiresome two laps. Soon after drawing enough energy out of the depths of my bones, I finally complete the final lap and I huddle up with the rest of exhausted crowd to take a short breather, before being over worked to death by the strict woman.