6: Ander and Fran

A/N A short bonus chapter to show what the others are doing while Imogen and Lenix are getting close. Written from Ander's POV. Image is my idea of Ander. Not my image.

I was back to pacing the small familiar room watching Fran like a hawk

I was back to pacing the small familiar room watching Fran like a hawk. She still hadn't woken up and I was going out of my mind with worry. Fran was the strong one, not physically but she was the leader between the two of us. 

Pretty pathetic I know. I'm supposed to be her big brother. To protect and lead her, but I'm too dumb and indecisive to know what to do. Fran always makes the plans and decisions for us. I am the brawn, what little I have of that, that keeps her safe. Between us, we are more or less one functioning person.

I don't know if it was the right choice to let that guy into our best safe house. He's dangerous for sure and probably doesn't care about us. He did give us some of the soup from a restaurant on the nice side of town, and some weird fruit he said was medicinal. He also checked Fran over for injuries and assured me she would wake up today. 

Even so, he killed without hesitation and is one of the rich elite with magic and a summon. People like us are trash to those types. He must have some motive for helping us, I just don't get what. Once Fran wakes will she be mad at me? I bet she will see through that guy instantly, probably scold me for days. 

I tested all the foods first. Especially that odd fruit he gave us. The soup was amazing and I wanted so badly to eat it all, but it was a perfect broth to easily feed to my unconscious sister. So after I suffered no weird effects from eating a bit of it, I fed the rest to her. The fruit was strange and I almost threw her portion out after it put me to sleep for a few hours. I had to admit that I felt a hell of a lot better after eating it. So I ended up saving it for when she wakes up. I did feed her as much of the juice as I could squeeze into her mouth though.

-Knock knock-

I was near the door while pacing when I heard the knock. I opened it without asking who it is. Oh, it's that other guy, he's so snooty and acts all high and mighty. Stupid kid is no better off than us.

"Hey Alex," I can feel the frown pulling down my lips as I acknowledge him.

"You've had enough rest and she still isn't awake. Help me move some furniture into the back to air out."

"Give me a break." I groaned dramatically to emphasize my annoyance, " Why are you working so hard to make this place decent?" This guy barely slept or maybe he hasn't at all, I don't know. He's been working to haul out the destroyed or burnt things and airing everything out since we got here. 

He gives me a sour look, "You aren't doing anything but pacing a hole in the floor. Just help me move the bigger things at least. It's better for all of us that it's clean here."

He's right, but I hate his bossy attitude. So I drag my feet, grumbling as I leave the room. I left the door open so I can hear my sis right away if she wakes up.

Most of the house is in good shape. The roof wasn't damaged at all in the fire. The end of the kitchen where the stove was and part of the living room wall was all that got destroyed. But the smoke covered everything, so the house has a bit of dingy black soot covering every surface. In just one night and half a day, Alex managed to salvage the living room and make the place seem livable. He wasn't satisfied yet though, and he kept forcing me to help him do more. 

"So, Alex, what's that guy going to do?" It seemed like Alex was his servant so maybe he'd give me a clue.

"I have no idea, never seen him before yesterday and he barely acknowledges me."

I stood there dumbfounded, "What!? Aren't you working for him?"

"I hope to. He's powerful and would be a good person to be employed by."

"That's all? Aren't you afraid of him? I'm terrified, you should have seen how fast he can kill."

Alex just shrugged. "That's to be expected of a summoner with magic isn't it?"

"Well, yeah. That's why he's scary duh." I grunted as we lifted the couch and moved toward the back door.

"If you're scared, leave." He scowled at me again but his words lacked any bite as he was just as breathless as I was from the heavy lifting.

"Maybe I will when Fran wakes up."

After that, the conversation ended as we struggled to move the heavy furniture. Neither of us was very big and he had the build and looks of a young girl. If I hadn't seen him naked back in the cages I would never believe he was a man. We had to stop a few times to catch our breath on our way to the back. 

We made it outside and both of us collapsed onto the couch to rest for a bit. As I caught my breath I wondered where he came from. I've never seen him around the slums before and he had high manners and spoke proper. He was beautiful and delicate enough to be a noble or maybe a bastard son of one. I heard they would try to get rid of that kind of children if they had no use for them. 

He looked back at me with his big blue eyes, face flushed from the exertion, "What?" His voice was melodic but full of bitterness.

I scowled back at him. "Nothing, you just seem really out of place in the slums. Or as a servant for that matter."

"Hmmmp! Obviously, I'm not from the slums. I've been trained as a servant all my life though." The way he said it seemed like he had a lot of pride in serving, but he looked sad while saying it.

"Whatever, we all have a story princess. I'm gonna check on Fran. Take a break for a bit before we tackle any more heavy stuff ok?"

He waved me away and started to beat the dust out of the cushions.

Fran was moving a bit and making some soft noises when I entered the room. I sat beside her on the bed hoping she was finally waking up. Her eyelids fluttered and she called out to me.

"Ander!"

"I'm here sis." I grabbed her hand and squeezed it as she woke up.

"Isn't this the cottage?" she asked.

"Yes, we sort of got saved from that horrible place," I said sheepishly, sure she would be mad about our situation.

"Sort of?" She looked at me with concern. "What happened Ander." She used that tone that meant I better spill now. She sounded just like mom used to. I didn't hold anything back and explained every detail of what happened since we had been kidnapped.

A/N below is how I imagine Alex to look. I do not own this image.

 I do not own this image