Chapter 36

This was becoming too common of an occurrence recently, as I felt my eyes flutter. Somewhere nearby a fire crackled, myears hearing every burst of a sap reservoir. Wincing at the movement as I opened my eyes, I tried to remember what had happened. I could remember trying to cut down a tree,and working past the patches of ice. Anything past that was blank, even though I had some how gotten to here.

Kaelyn!

Worried for her, as she could have easily gotten hurt as well, I shifted, trying to get up. Each movement brought a wave of pain and ache. Just as I was about to stand up, a familiar voice yelled, "Stop moving."

Pot in hand Kaelyn stomped through the door, glaring at me as she went over to the fire.

Once it was positioned to warm, her eyes met mine, there was a light in them I had never seen before. Surprisingly I flinched as she exclaimed, "What do you think you are doing? I pulled you from out under a tree branch. You were so still I did not know if you would ever wake up..." her voice trailed off for a moment before she continued, this time in a no nonsense tone, "If you think that you are going anywhere without my say so you are mistaken. I might not have as much experience as you, but I know a bad injury whenI see one. You were lucky enough not to break anything, but more than a few of your ribs are bruised, and your body is going to be sore and weak for a few days..."

"So you are going to sit here until I say you can do otherwise." She finished in a definitive tone.

Reminded of how Cassiel had treated me, Ezekiel, or the children when they had gotten hurt or sick, I slowly nodded my head. "Ok, ok. I will stay in bed... I have this horrible headache though. Can you grab the Violet Starflower and make some tea for me, please."

With careful but quick movement Kaelyn selected the correct leaves and shredded them as she let them fall into a cup. A few minutes later, steam and a slight hissing bubbling noise from the pot indicated that the water was ready for tea. While she was pouring water into the cup, she asked, "Besides your headache, how are you feeling."

In an effort to show I was ok, I jokingly replied, "Like a tree fell on me."

A faint smile formed on her face as she handed me the warm tea. Arranging my blanket as I had begun to shover slightly, Kaelyn at noticing me wincing as the blanket put pressure on my aching ribs, asked, "How are you ribs feeling. I could not think of anything to bind them with."

Rather than answer her question, I asked one that had been bothering me, "How did you get that training? I know women are allowed to learn, but Shaw has a good business and you sounded like were kept busy most of the time helping out."

"Father allowed me to use my free time as I wished. Helping people felt good to me. Colds, sprains, anything easy. I learn quickly, and as long as there was not too much blood I was ok." At this Kaelyn shuddered.

Impressed, as I had not expected Kaelyn to be willing to help people like that, I replied, "Well I am definitely glad that you did. If you ever have any questions I would be happy to continue your education and explain things as best I can. I have spent the better part of my life learning about medicine and how to take care of injuries. You and I are living proof of my knowledge."

Lost in thought for a moment Kaelyn did not reply. Blinking as if to focus, she questioned, "Have you ever thought about settling down to be a doctor to a community or other populated area? You are right that you have a fair amount of knowledge, not just in medicine."

Pouring the majority of the now cool tea down my throat, I waited a moment before responding, "You might have noticed, I do not like being settled down. I have Cassiel and the others, and for now they are enough. I spend more than enough time there, and at times even that is too much. Being in a town would be hard for me. A week is about all I can handle. Besides while I enjoy using my knowledge to help people, I would not want to spend my life as a doctor... Your father has offered for me to live in Notredram. He even offered the day we met. I have politely refused each time and I know Shaw understands. I like living out in the wilds..."

Struck by a thought, I asked, "Would you even want to? I mean, settle down that is? I know you wanted to travel with me when we first met, and I have enjoyed your company. Yet have you given much thought to settling down. I know that was the life you would have had had you stayed in Notredram. You have learned a lot these last few months with me, and in a few years you will have all the connections you need to start a trading company to rival your father's. That is if you wanted too."

Pursing her lips in a cautious and thoughtful look she slowly replied, "That is not something I had thought about. These last few months have been some of the best I have ever had. I guess I could open my own company but I enjoy being out here... with you. Opening up my own store and company would not only make me my fathers rival, but yours as well. It would feel like I was stabbing you in the back. No, I am content to remain with you, wherever you go, and learn all I can. I enjoy your company Z."

By now she had leaned close to me, but I did not close the gap and kiss her, despite what my body was telling me to do. Spring would come, and until then I would keep my feelings, which this conversation had brought to the surface, hidden.

Rather than kiss her, I replied, "So you shall. I meant it then and I mean it mow, you will always be welcome to accompany me wherever I go. We will always split the profits, and I will treat you as an equal..."

Cutting me off, Kaelyn replied softly, "I know. Which makes you one of the good ones. Not at all like my fiancé. Now, seeing as you are confined to bed, I am going to straighten up a little. Then I am going to plan and cook something. It is Christmas Eve after all, I can manage one meal. Although I will warn you now, next year we are having it with your family or mine, no arguing."

Knowing I could not win, I kept quiet and allowed myself to drift off as I listened to her shuffle around the hut, moving things and whispering to herself.