Chapter Twenty-One - Arrival

Unknown P.O.V.

"It begins today," he said. "The Centennial which marks the end of an era."

She smiled. "Have you reached out to your contacts yet? Will they be able to get us in?"

He nodded.

"All we have to do now is wait."

- - -

Evelyn's P.O.V.

"If you do this, you will not get my help!"

"I don't need your help, I just need you to trust me."

Adam was not happy with his father.

That morning, someone brought up the plans Adam had for Europe to his father and it was clear that Malcom did not approve.

"They are our biggest ally! What will you do if a war comes and you no longer have them on your side?" Victoria asked. "You could lose everything!"

I rolled my eyes.

No one invited you.

In fact, she had invited herself into the office, yet again, to hear the argument that would ensue.

"I'm not asking for permission," Adam said to her.

I could tell he was angry. Both because his father had strolled into his office, unannounced and without warning, and because Malcom was trying to argue with him.

"Son, do you realize what this is going to do to you? You cannot rule from this place when they are an ocean away, it is impossible!"

"I've done it with Australia for more than a hundred years," Adam pointed out.

"That was for the betterment of the entire Lycanthrope population! You knew Eaton was corrupt and you took action..."

Jace—who was sitting next to me on the couch, watching—tensed at the mention of his father.

"...This is different, though," Malcom finished. "You are doing this only for the power and I cannot object more strongly."

Adam shook his head.

"My mind is made up."

Malcom's shoulders slumped in defeat and Victoria scoffed.

"Something you would like to add?" Adam asked her, glaring.

She looked away.

"I don't want you to make the same mistakes I did," Malcom said. "I conquered South America out of a thirst for power and it cost me your mother."

Malcom glanced at me and then back at Adam.

"Don't make the same mistake, my son."

Adam's jaw clenched.

"I am nothing like you. This has been planned for years. I have strategized and planned this entire thing down to the hour. I am in control."

Malcom's eyes were filled with rage as he glanced at Jace and I.

"Do you both actually support this asinine idea?"

Jace and I both nodded.

Malcom growled and turned, storming out of the room with Victoria hot on his heels.

"I want a shadow on them both," Adam said to Jace. "I don't want any communication leaving this castle for the next twenty-four hours. When the guests arrive, make sure neither my father, Victoria, or any of her ladies-in-waiting attempt to make contact with someone on the European side."