Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Julia's POV

I glance down at Max's lips and frown. "How did we get like this? I was on the opposite site of the car." I am straddling him, our lips are only millimetres apart and the computer, that was playing another episode of Friends, is now on the floor and long forgotten about.

Max laughs and he squeezes my thigh slightly, making me bite my lip. "I couldn't stay away from you." He slides his hand behind my neck and gently pulls me down so that my lips meet his. He moans and pulls away. "Can you blame me? I mean, you literally taste like honey."

"Thanks," I say and laugh, then I lean down and place a kiss on his neck.

He groans. "Stop. You can't make me feel this good."

I laugh again. "It's probably all the alcohol you've had that's making you feel that good."

He shakes his head and frowns. "No, I liked you're lips long before that. I just... I didn't know if you wanted to do this all again."

I climb off him, realising there is definitely no sober Max left. He's actually talking about what he was thinking, sort of. I don't know if having him drunk is a good or a bad thing. I only had a few sips but that was a while ago so now I think I'm good to go.

I wouldn't say I could recite the alphabet backwards. I don't know what kind of crazy sober person can do that anyway.

"So, um, Max...?" I say slowly, not sure if I should be asking him this. What if he remembers tomorrow and he is offended because I don't know him well enough?

"Yeah?"

I laugh. Oh well, I have a drunk guy alone in a car with me and I can't kiss him anymore because it's wrong and, since I'm not drunk, it would be taking advantage of him. I might ask well ask and have some sort of entertainment.

"Why don't you believe in love?" I ask.

Not like I care. Hah. Not like he's amazing at kissing. Hah. Not like I kinda like him because I'm so pathetic that I can fall for a guy that fast. Hah.

I groan and grab a packet of sweets that Max brought, pulling them open and stuffing my face.

Max stays lying on his back, staring up at the roof of the car. He stays silent for a long time and I start to wonder if he even heard my question.

"It's stupid," he whispers.

"Come on. I'm sure it isn't stupid."

"It is. I'll tell you, but don't say I didn't warn you." I chuckle and nod. "There was this girl in seventh grade... Um, let's call her... Ali. She was smart, funny and so beautiful and I was crazy about her. I mean, I liked her for two years and nothing happened - I knew she thought I was a loser and thought that it would never happen, but nobody else knew what she thought and nobody knew I cared about her so it was fine... until this 'end of year' party that Ali and I went to. We were playing this stupid spin the bottle game and- You know what? I told you. This is stupid. Forget about it." He shakes his head, frowning.

"Okay, if you don't want to keep going it's okay. I'm sorry I asked." I lie back and stare up at the roof as well.

It would be so cool if we were outside, on the grass, just staring up at the stars. It wouldn't really be the same because Max isn't sober but it would still be beautiful.

"Fine, I'll tell you the rest, okay? But you can't tell anyone. You have to swear on it... It's embarrassing and I wish I could just forget it, so nobody else can know."

I nod in agreement. "Deal. I promise I won't tell a soul."

"So we were playing... the spin the bottle and after a while the bottle landed on, um, Ali. I finally had the chance to kiss her and I had dreamed of the moment but... but it didn't happen because as soon as she realised she had to kiss me... s-she laughed. It was in front of all of my friends and, honestly, it was the worst feeling in the world to be publicly rejected by a girl I was crazy about."

"So that's why you don't believe in love?" I ask.

"Well, mainly that. After that I changed everything. The way I styled my hair, the way I dressed and I even changed schools. I decided to give love a few more shots but every girl... every single girl hurt me. They either were in love with someone else or they cheated and one even told me she was a lesbian after eight months of being with me... It all hurt so much and after my parents divorce, I never saw my mom again and I couldn't take it. I mean, I thought my parents were so in love but then, suddenly, they weren't and my mom disappeared without a goodbye... I just... You'd think if she loved me a little she'd say goodbye or just leave a fucking note but nothing..." A tear rolls down his cheek and he quickly shifts to look away from me and out the window.

"After all of the chances I'd given love, it's like life was trying to tell me to stop. So I did. I moved schools again, to here. Not believing in love was the best thing I'd ever done. I get any girl I want without having to see them again afterwards, and I don't have to worry about them cheating or loving someone else. I don't give them the chance to hurt me because I won't let myself believe I love them when love isn't real. It works. Ever since I came here nobody has been able to hurt me the way... the way that girl in seventh grade did. You don't understand, Julia, it hurt so badly that at some points I felt like I couldn't keep going. The girl I loved had just ripped my heart out and all my friends were just laughing. Love is... it's bullshit."

A tear slips down my cheek and I take Max's hand and intertwine our fingers. Love broke him.

~~*~~

Meh I don't know about this chapter. What do you think?

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylzk
S n a p c h a t : laylz_k

Lots of love and jelly tots- TPG