viii. alone and falling

CHAPTER EIGHT
( alone and falling )

❛ there was no galaxy she could not outrun ❜

SHE WAS ALONE AND SHE WAS FALLING. Falling through time, through space, through galaxies. Infinite galaxies full of colours and emotions she had no idea even existed. She fell with an awe that words could not describe, a wave of adrenaline, an ocean of ecstasy. She fell through universes, her fingers kissing the stars as they painted the darkness around her. The hair whipping her face become but a distant memory as the constellations wound themselves around her naked body like string. But she did not feel scared. She did not feel vulnerable. Or embarrassed. She felt no other emotions except raw, unrivalled joy.

Out here, she was nothing.

Her existence became nothing.

She was only another shadow within forests of darkness.

And it felt good.

To fall through the worlds, as weightless dust.

To fall through time, like a stone sinking through water.

To be nothing in an era of everything.

She had no responsibilities here. No-one holding her down, anchoring her to a world where she no longer knew the difference between living and existing. Bruce. Jason. Richard. Barbara. Steph. God, even Tim. They meant nothing to her. She was no longer bound, no longer weighted down by the shackles that chained them together. The freedom she tasted was magnificent, like a breath of air after a millennium submerged. And it was that sense of freedom that she dreamt of. Begged for.

And as she fell, she clung to that false hope that this fall would be endless. Because she knew, felt it within her bones, that this was the closest she would ever get to being free in her lifetime; and she did not want this feeling to leave her. Not again.

But of course, it did. Because that is how the world treats her now. Every time she shows even the slightest amount of joy, the world rips it from her grasp and dangles it in her face, daring to flash a tormenting smile as her hands are shackled behind her back.

The wind that darted past her face became solid. The stars that slipped through her delicate fingers became blades of grass. The darkness around her shifted, the air became dirt beneath her palms. She had landed, face down.

But it didn't hurt—when she collided. It was a pressure she felt but could not touch. A solid wall of air. And it was surreal.

Athena breathed in deeply, the smell of grass and smoke overpowering her with the sense of familiarity. She pushed herself up onto the palm of her hands, loving the feel of the soil under her fingertips.