If You Wish on a Shooting Star

"Huh. Did I bear a grudge after all?" Fei Chuan felt himself laying on a flat platform, and frowned. Reaching around his hands, he found that his left leg was back again, and as whole as ever. Crap, did he really become a vengeful ghost? As much as Fei Chuan would appreciate the opportunity to pummel Mu into a pulp, he really didn't want to linger on Earth like a mysterious stain that refused to be washed off. Was a smooth death too much to ask for?

He wants Lady Meng!

Fei Chuan gradually opened up his eyes, before quickly shutting them again. Then after waiting a few more moments, Fei Chuan couldn't suppress his impatience and opened up his eyes again. Ah, shit. Nothing changed.

Before him sprawled a massive expanse of a universe, littered with twinkling stars and roving planets. Some where much closer than others, and a passing comet several thousand kilometers away brought with it a wave of sweltering heat. Fei Chuan himself was standing on top of a circular and deep blue platform that rose from the depths of bottomless space like a sand bar. All around the platform were blinking screens, numbering in the hundreds, but only one of those screens were depicting scenes at all. The rest were flashed on and off relentlessly, going from a deep indigo to a pale lavender and back again.

Fei Chuan noticed a second comet rapidly approaching the platform, this time bringing a burst crushing chill. Fei Chuan clutched his arms, feeling as if he might freeze to death, but the comet, upon arrival, only made his bones shiver continuously.

The comet paused right before hitting the platform. Instead of colliding, it twisted like a snake and wound it's tail around until it formed a continuously revolving circle.

...this comet looked a lot smaller than expected. In fact, the whole circle was only as wide as Fei Chuan's arm span. Fei Chuan had to admit that he was pretty bad at physics even in the university, but surely, this was not how things worked.

Then the comet released a succession of beeps that sounded somewhat like they could be words. There was a click, and then another succession of beeps, but deeper. This continued on until ---"Threee....theee...thuh...huh...Hello."

Fei Chuan blinked. "Hello."

"You are...in the Eternal Sands. Questions? Yes. No. No time. You are...National Guard Hero Fei Chuan, awarded the Bright Star Medal posthumously for his service to the country. 23 years old, 88 kilograms, 188 centimeters, 3 sizes are 42-36-42. Yes. Good measurements. Army men have good measurements. Continuing. IQ at 120. Almost average. First crush at age 8, pretended to be a pirat--"

"That's enough!" Fei Chuan interrupted hurriedly. Dark past, go away, come again another day! Or never!

The comet stopped, then turned from its molten gray to an icy blue. Another blast of cold air assaulted Fei Chuan. Then it went back to gray. "Do. Not. Interrupt. Thank you. Thank you kindly. Questions? Yes. No--"

"Yes." Recognizing the opening for what it was, Fei Chuan bit the bullet. He had to figure out what this thing was and how to get out of here. "But first please stop spinning." The constant rotation motion really wasn't helping his cognition right now.

The comet seemed to be dissatisfied, but stopped turning. "Yes. Question?"

"What are you?"

The comet swirled once. "I am. I am."

...I am what I am? Fei Chuan had the distinct feeling of being messed around with.

"What is your purpose?" he tried.

"To serve you."

"In what?"

"Mission. Mission to be determined. Complete your mission and receive a reward. Complete your mission to gain power."

"What? And how will you help me?"

The comet---well actually, it's not a comet anymore, is it? But truthfully, there's no word in Fei Chuan's vocabulary for what this thing is--- started to glow. "Proceeding on with first task."

[World 01: The Wayward Monk. Begin?]

[Yes] [No]

"Wait! I didn't pick that!"

The comet swirled, a little...smug? "Begin."