World 1: Like Taking Candy from a Baby

The National Guard had a few strict requirements, but the one that caused the most grief was the order that a male's hair could be no longer than 3 inches, and that a female's hair could be no longer than 8. Offenders were dragged to the local barber and had all their hair shaved off. So actually, Fei Chuan was pretty familiar with the uncomfortable glow of the sun bouncing off bare scalps.

It didn't mean he liked to look at it every waking moment of the day. Or be surrounded by it. Or catch a glimpse of it when he passed by a clear pond, of which the temple had several.

This whole situation made Fei Chuan want to crawl out of his skin, and the only solace he could get was the presence of the cleaning maids, who did not have to follow the aesthetics of the male monk population.

Fei Chuan cracked on the third day. Turning to the little blue ankle bracelet that hung on his left ankle like some sort of prisoner's shackle, Fei Chuan asked, "Okay, what am I supposed to do here?"

The ankle bracelet actually dulled a bit, and gave off an air of "was that a fly just now?" Seeing this affected obliviousness, Fei Chuan really wanted to punch a wall.

"...oh great Master Qin, what am I supposed to do here?" Fei Chuan forced out. He truly did not believe that he couldn't break the little accessory in two, but getting it off was another issue.

The ankle bracelet glimmered, an assortment of lights flashing along its curved ridges. A notification popped up.

[Task 01.a: Take away Gu Song's smuggled candy (Daily Event).]

Fei Chuan found himself speechless. What was this? Taking candy from a baby? Gu Song happened to be a part of the group of young initiates who were sent to live at the temple to be taught discipline under the care of the veteran monks. However, the oldest of these initiates was barely nine years old. Fei Chuan looked down at his muscular, 30-year-old body and shook his head.

This task was clearly bullying! Where would he have the face to meet his bald colleagues after this?

Ah, whatever. Complete the task, deal with everything else later. Fei Chuan honestly did not want to stay in this world any longer than absolutely necessary. Now where was the Gu child? Better start with the usual places for initiates to hang out.

Fei Chuan first walked over to the youths' lodging and peeked in. The young initiates quickly snapped to attention and several made aborted motions that implied that they were hiding something underneath their cots. Fei Chuan narrowed his eyes at their powdery fingers and the faint smell of fruit.

Remembering his task, Fei Chuan intoned gravely, "Young monks, beware of the temptation of candy. Sugar is poison to your bodies, and should be avoided at all costs. Please hand over the contrabands."

The kids with sticky fingers tried to avoid his sight, but Fei Chuan's imposing presence eventually made them crack and hand over their sweets. "Very good," Fei Chuan praised, then walk away. It absolutely didn't grow his ego to see little brats bite their lips and stare at the confiscated goods in his hands with pitiful eyes. There was no power trip going on. Nope. Not at all.

Onto the cafeteria.

After a full hour of searching and making a few kids cry, Fei Chuan earned the title "Hateful Adult" and finally found Gu Song furtively chewing a gummy in a tree. The sun had reached it's height, signaling that it was now noon, and Fei Chuan did his best to ignore the oppressive heat on his scalp and the sweat underneath his armpits.

"Initiate Gu Song," he called up the tree. "Spit that out."

Gu Song nearly jumped out of the tree, and stared down at Fei Chuan with a startled look. "Young monk," Fei Chuan began, reciting something he'd said at least a thousand times today, "beware of the temptation of candy. Sugar is poison to your bodies, and should be avoided at all costs. Please hand over the contrabands."