Chapter 39

Deandre Martin

Walking into the high school made me feel uneasy at the looks I was receiving from these young ass children. Sincere and I walked hand in hand with Nahmir in my opposite arm, and of course, we stood out more than anyone. A fine ass nigga and a bad ass female on his arm only made it more interesting. She sort of leaded the way as we walked around, heading in the direction of the gymnasium. Of course, today was signing day and after a long talk, some texas roadhouse and a lot of phone calls, Jayceon and I are finally back on good terms, plus he knows what college he fully wants to commit too. A full ride was what he wanted, along with a D1 team. His talent and my connection were able to score him that, plus some and I will forever be proud of him for being able to pursue something he loves. My heart goes out to my young nigga for handling his business. I'm forever in his corner.

Sincere and I found our way into the gym and walked onto the floor to take our seats around him as everyone else got settled into the stands. Kaylani was out on the floor with the rest of the dancers, dressed in her uniform, prepared to dance along with the band. Most signing days weren't like this one. At Crenshaw, they turned them into pep rally's and the whole school is required to attend to salute the young men that are entering a new stage of life.

After a nice performance by the band and the singing of the national anthem, followed by the pledge, which Sincere and I did not stand up for, they began the process of everyone signing. Jayceon has had so many different experiences with schools and I was honestly taken back by his choice. With his grades, his extracurricular involvement outside of sports and his athletic abilities, he was guaranteed full rides by every school that wanted to sign him. His goal was to go to a Division 1 college, and he was going to do just that.

"We will now be taking a look at our pro quarter and running back here at Crenshaw, Mr. Jayceon Harris.", the principal announced his name as Sincere and I clapped, smiling as we sat, five coaches standing behind us, all with hats on of their proposed university. Jayceon stood as the principal began to go into a whole speech about him. "I met this young man his freshman year, he had that ambition in his eye and a heart of gold. He walked into my office after a getting into a small altercation with another student. I said, 'Son, what do you want to do?', Jayceon responded with, 'I just wanna' play football.'  and he has been a top notch athlete every since. I stand here today to say that this young man has put in a lot of hard work and dedication, he has lead the team into many victories and he has raised a lot of awareness for this school, and I am forever grateful. I present to you, Mr. Jayceon Harris."

The gym erupted in claps and cheers and the principal handed Jayceon the microphone. Young girls were screaming, a few people even had posters. I never knew he had this much clout at school, but hell, my young nigga be with that swaggy shit. He don't really have a choice.

"Thank you Principal Moore and thank you to everyone that's here supporting me today. It feels good to be one of the men of the hour, but I would like to take a moment to thank everyone that has helped me along the way. Starting with Coach Lewis, he built me from a little shrimp to the muscle man I am today. He also taught me to have courage and values behind everything I do. I also want to thank my team members, who always pushed me to be stronger than those against me. Some of these boys are really destined to do great things. I also want to thank my brother sitting right here next to me.", he peered down at me. "We've had our ups and downs, and we have definitely had our tough moments, but I wouldn't trade him. He has completed my family most definitely, and he has allowed me to continue to transform into the young man I am becoming. He has done so much for me and I am very thankful for him. I also want to thank my little sister, for getting on my nerves, but also telling me to stay focused. I love you Kaylani. Finally, but definitely one of the most important, I want to thank my older sister for being like my mother figure. Everything hasn't always been peaches and cream, but I love her with all of my heart. She taught me all of my life lessons and has instilled in me that without hustle, there is no shine. As much as she may annoy me, or get on my nerves, I wouldn't trade her for the world, or ask for a better female role model. She has raised me to be the young man I am today, and with the help of my brother, I will continue to develop into that young man. With that being said, I am proud to announce that I will be committing to Louisville."