Cryptotrappers- The Fox Queen's Festival

"I should have known. People don't approach strangers in English in this place." Eva furiously ranted, ripping draws open and slamming them shut in search for any scrap of evidence.
"You weren't to know, it's not your fault." I reassured her, meticulously looking for signs of a struggle around the room alongside Seth, who was still fairly panicked from our mania entering.
"She really wasn't suspicious in any way." Lucy followed up, sympathetically, popping out from the base area where she had been checking on the status of the other cryptids.
From what we had concluded, at some point while we were on our interview, Randy had been taken by Nikki, a neighbouring businesswoman, who was actually a Kitsune in human form. She would be forcing a marriage upon Randy in less than an hour and then sacrificing him to Inari, a Shinto fox deity. Honestly it probably wouldn't be the worst marriage I had attended, but it would still probably better if we nipped the problem in the bud.
"Look." I said with authority, attracting the attention of everyone. "There's nothing here. In all likelihood, Randy was taken at the froyo shop. Nikki may never have come in here. I say we investigate there, and on the way, Eva will tell us what she learned in the interview. How does that sound?"
Eva was still furious with herself but she agreed to leave this place alone. Self hating wasn't the most important thing here right this second, Randy was. So we collectively left to find the fabled froyo shop.

It didn't take too long. The building had a large frozen yogurt sign on the front, so it was fairly obvious we were in the right place. The building was obviously locked and the inside empty. Despite Sid's eagerness to charge the door down, Eva decided for the slightly more legal option of trying for a spare key and if nothing else, lockpicking. Fortunately for us, Nikki had the foresight to leave a spare key under a potted bonsai tree outside. Convenient.
"So what did your interview tell you Eva?" I asked, searching the small store just as I had done our own.
"Not actually too much. Mr. Akito met the fox when he was exploring the forest. He was drawn in by the bright Kitsunebi, or fox fire, shining through the trees. What he found was a hidden festival ground, abandoned seeming. It was then he was approached by the Kitsune. Now if I'm judging based on Kitsune hierarchy, her dark activities would suggest that she isn't a Tenko, Kūko or even Kiko. However the severity of Mr. Akito's burns and other wounds would suggest that Nikki is a very high ranking Chiko. The wedding begins at sundown. We have half an hour. I suggest we make for the woods and try to find the festival. Michael, if you come then she'll know we're coming before we arrive. But, I'm going to take the risk that she already figure we'll come. So back to the shop. Grab artillery. Drive to Mr. Akito's home. Find the festival. Save Randy."

We didn't understand what half of that meant but clearly stakes were high. Time was running short. We would have to drive incredibly quick. It didn't take very long at all for us to load up our equipment and then we were travelling. Bringing Seth would draw unnecessary attention, so I decided to keep him back in my room again. We very likely broke a hell of a lot of speed limits as we went, but we wouldn't even pull over for police at this point. The woods drew closer, a foreboding line of dark trees hardly illuminated by the quickly setting sun. Without hesitation we delved deeper and deeper into the trees, swatting the branches that seemed intent on holding us back out of the way. A warm glow, like circus lights, told us that we had found the festival grounds.
"No matter what you see here, what Yokai you see, what dream entity or purple mirror you encounter, you steel your resolve and save Randy." Eva reminded us. And so, together, we stepped into the festival clearing.

Music blared in our ears as we entered the festival grounds. Yokai of all shapes and heights walked through the plaza. The stands were primarily ran by Tengu and Bakeneko, whose catlike eyes gleamed as they carefully watched their wares. Despite my intrigue, we all kept towards the forest sides to avoid being noticed. Looking towards the stands in the centre showed the source of the music to be three Yokai that looked like instruments. There was a guitar, a lute and a harp.
"Any idea on what they are?" I hissed to Eva.
"In standing order, Shami Chōrō, Biwa Bokuboku and Koto Furunushi. Possessed musical instruments, always remember tunes played on them. Look over there, a group of Itachi!" Eva replies pointing towards a small colony of weasels, standing upright and chattering.
"Shouldn't we be grabbing these things to research?" Sid asked. Eva sharply glared at him.
"Sid, we take animals in to study. We do not hold sentient beings against their will. We will only hold a sentient Yokai captive if they accept." Eva reprimanded.
I shot a side eye over to Lucy who also vaguely saw the irony. In the air, Foxfire of all colours danced freely, keeping away from touch. An Inugami was browsing at one of the stalls, deciding whether or not to buy an antique charm. All in all it was a very supernatural affair.