t e n

The sun had set hours ago and there was still no sign of Anakin.

I tried not to show my anxiety and nervousness over it, fearing that it would affect Adira.

So I smiled the while time I played with her, until her eyes began to get heavy and her movements turned sluggish.

Knowing she was tired, I put her down in her crib and went back out into the living room.

I stood in front of the window, trying to see the state of the Jedi Temple, as I hadn't looked at it since Anakin left.

I could barely make out the smoke through the dark night, but it was clear that the fire was still burning, though not as fast as it was mere hours ago.

My heart ached for Anakin, I hoped that he was alright and that nothing serious was happening.

I knew it wasn't just a fire, as it would have been stopped immediately and wouldn't have spread like it did.

The fire was left to burn, which told me that the people inside obviously had bigger things than a fire to focus on, which only added to my anxiety.

I felt like crying, but I knew that I needed to be strong.

Not feeling particularly tired, I decided to sit on the couch and wait for Anakin to come back, which I hoped was sooner rather than later.

• • •

The sound of a door closing caused my head to snap towards the entrance of my apartment.

Anakin was standing in the doorway, looking disheveled and tired.

"Anakin," I rushed over to him, checking his body for any visible signs of harm.

"Wh-what happened?" I stuttered out, my nerves coming back to me.

"Someone-the Separatists-the Sith I think tried to take over the Jedi Temple. They were going to kill us all." He whispered, not looking me in the eye.

My eyes widened and my mouth fell open in shock.

"What?"

"They were going to wipe out the Jedi Order and take over, but they weren't strong enough."

"Oh my god, Anakin this is- what if they had succeeded?"

"Don't ask that question Verena, we don't need to worry about it, they didn't succeed, you and Adira are safe."

He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into a tight hug, resting his chin on my head and he rubbed circles on my back.

I curled my arms in between my body and his and pressed my cheek against his chest, closing my eyes.

Anakin seemed to sense my tiredness and picked me up bridal style, carrying me to my bed.

I had already changed into my nightgown a few hours ago, so I could relax as soon as Anakin set me down.

I immediately pulled the covers over me and fixed my pillows.

Anakin eventually joined me after taking off his robes, pulling the sheets over his body and pulling me to him.

We were facing each other, but I was too tired to be concerned over the fact that I was touching Anakin's abs.

He kissed the top of my head once, sending me into a blissful sleep.