Chapter Forty: The Calm Before the Storm

"Ow!"

"Hold still."

"OW!"

I let out a squeal, pulling my arm away from Markus who was trying to stitch up my wound.

He let out an exasperated sigh, holding the small needle in his hand, "If you'd sit still this would go a lot quicker."

"You may not feel pain but I do!" I closed my eyes tight, trying to ignore the pain of him sewing up my bullet wound.

"That's what the pain meds are for." He retorted, wrapping a gauze around my arm and shoulder. "There. See? You're good as new."

I wrinkled my nose. "Give or take a few pints of blood." I smiled at him, unable to help it once I looked up into his blue and green eyes. "Thank you, Markus."

"Me?" He was smiling. Even though he had lost so many of his people, he was still remaining a strong leader. It was admirable. "I should be the one thanking you. You helped my people — you were willing to die for us."

"When I look at you, I see people. People who are alive and deserve to be free and live happy lives. I will always fight for that."

"You saved my life." Markus glanced over at Connor, a curious look on his face. Connor was staring at the ground, his LED had been a continuous yellow since we had gone into the water hours ago. "What's the story with you two anyways? How does a human detective fall in love with CyberLife's new prototype android?"

I let out a quiet giggle. Even though it wasn't the time for happy memories, I knew it was Markus' way of getting to know me, and honestly it was nice to have a moment to forget about everything else going on... even for just a moment. "When CyberLife assigned him to all the android cases we had, I wasn't sure what to make of him. He was quiet and observant — but over time he became very... charismatic and caring. I've never met anyone so... enchanting." I admitted, blushing after realizing I was rambling. "Sorry, I guess I haven't really talked to anyone about him like this."

"It's fine." Markus smiled, "He seems to really love you."

"Oh, really?!" I teased, smirking at him, "How can you tell?"

"Well for starters he can't stop glancing at you. Personally, I think he's jealous." Markus nodded in Connor's direction.

I glanced up, noticing Connor avert his gaze to the ground once I caught his glance. "That's adorable."

"He became deviant for you. I've never seen someone do that before. You must be a pretty special girl." He held his hand out to me as he stood, motioning to help me stand up.

I blushed slightly, "Are you flirting with me, Markus?" I teased, grabbing onto his hand as he pulled me to a standing position.

"Of course not." Markus scoffed affectionately, letting go of my hand once he knew I was stable. "You good to walk?"

"Oh yeah, I mean all I got is a bullet hole in my shoulder. I'm grand." I stuck my tongue out at him as I walked past him over towards Connor.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, immediately walking up to me once he noticed me standing.

I smiled slightly as I noticed him analyzing me. "I'm okay, Connor. Markus patched me up, and the pain medication is helping a lot."