Chapter 16

We entered the place. The bells attached to the door making a sound not very soothing to hear.

There weren't many people around and once we entered everyone's eyes landed on us for a brief second and then they went back to continue with wherever they were doing.

The owner of the place was a old lady.
Her face brightened upon seeing Jungkook.
A smile now clearly visible upon her once dull face. Her wrinkles were now more clear to my eyes.
"You haven't visited in years", she moved hurriedly toward us.
"You have grown up into such a fine young man",she spoke.
All the while I just stood there. Confused and lost.
"And who is this young lady here?",she turned towards me.

"Um..just a friend",Jungkook answered.

"There, there take a seat now. The usual right?"
"Yes." He smiled.

We sat close to the window. Behind me was a wall full of Polaroid pictured.
People smiling. All of the pictures where different but one thing was common in all of them.
Happiness.

Jungkook sat opposite to me.
"I visited here often,when I was about five. We lived in this neighborhood."
"Oh."

A few minutes later the old lady came in with two bowls of ice-cream.
She smiled happily,placing the two bowls with care on the table. She smiled at me and then left us on our own.

I din't bother to ask what flavor it was. I knew he wouldn't feed me poison and I was too engrossed in eating.

"You look like a kid who was just granted her life-long wish of eating ice-cream",he laughed.

"Yah! Say whatever. This tastes amazing."

"So, what are these pictures about?",I said pointing towards the wall behind me.

"They are just pictures of customers who visit here",he shrugged.
"Jungkook, that looks like you",I said pointing towards one of the pictures in which a little girl was holding on to a rabbit plushie.

"Hey, that looks like you"he mocked, pointing at the pictures at the far end.

I stood up to get a closer look.
The picture that caught my attention wasn't the one he pointed at but the one beside it. It really was me.

A happy-family picture. My mother sat to the left of me, my father on the right. A happy family.

My eyes were now filled with tears. Now I knew why this place felt familiar. I have a vague memory of visiting this place with my parents. I was at the time say four? I don't remember.

Jungkook pulled me back,making me sit.
"Are you okay?what's wrong?"
"That picture there, it really is me. My mother-",now my word were interrupted by my sobs.

"Let's get out of here",he got out of his chair. Paying the cash to the old lady and then slightly bowing towards her.

He reached my hand slowly and carefully pulling me out of my chair. My sobs were getting louder now.
The memories of our little family filling my mind.
He guided my way out of the parlor.
My vision was blurry because of the tears that filled my eyes.
He walked slowly not letting go of my hand.
I din't know where he was taking me to but I din't bother to ask.
My mind was too preoccupied and I had to calm down.