Chapter Thirty-One: The Key

Declan

Declan pulled the door closed behind him and turned to see Lux propping up the wall. "What are you still doing up?"

She rubbed her eyes and gave a shoulder shrug. He noticed the circles beneath her eyes were lighter than they'd been just hours ago, something that shouldn't be possible considering the amount of power she'd used to save their friends.

"I wanted to make sure they were going to be okay."

He drew her close and pressed a kiss on her forehead. She smelled of earth and oranges and sugary magic. Perfection.

"They're going to be fine. You were amazing," he said. "And you can tell me all about how you did what you did after you get a full night's rest."

Somewhere in the house, a clock struck the hour, the chimes tolling through the rooms and stirring up ghosts. He almost expected to see Mrs. Godelieve gliding down the stairs, her lace peignoir trailing behind her, as she called her daughters to bed.

"Well goodnight," Lux said, pulling away and heading to the second floor.

"Wait," he said, catching her by the hand. She stepped forward after a moment's hesitation, a question in her thundercloud eyes. He dipped his head, intent on capturing her lips, but a flat palm against his chest stopped him. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong is that you lied to me."

"What are you talking about?" Declan asked, letting go of her and stepping back. Lightning was flashing in those gray depths now.

"You told me you never had feelings for Leora, and yet you slept with her!"

He placed a hand against the wall to remain upright as the room tilted. "Where did you get such a ludicrous idea from?"

"She wrote in her diary. The night the demon tried to kill her- she said it happened after that."

"Lux, she's lying."

"You're telling me that nothing happened between you two? She just made it up for her diary that no one but herself was supposed to read?"

Betrayal gutted him. Why would Leora write something like that? And why would Lux readily believe it? "We kissed that night. You know how it is when magic is sizzling in your veins and coupled with the adrenaline from the fight...It was a mistake, and once I came to my senses, I pulled away. You really don't know me at all if you think I would've taken advantage of that situation."

"That's the thing," she began, wiping tears from her cheeks, "I don't know if I do know you. We've only known each other a month, and it's been a roller coaster from the beginning. What if what's between us is just compatible magic?"

"Speaking of magic- you two need to come in here," Gideon called out from the kitchen.

"Come on," he commanded when Lux's chin lifted and her eyes narrowed. "Defying them right now isn't going to get you anywhere, and this conversation is not over."

The adults were sitting around the kitchen table, much like they'd been when he'd bolted from the room to find Lux earlier. Phoebe gestured to the seats beside her. He settled himself in one while Lux continued standing.

"Sit, Lux," Gideon said. "This may take awhile."

"I'm good with standing right now," she replied, her hand going to her chest and wrapping around the channeling stone she'd acquired. They'd not had a chance to discuss it yet, but from the determined look on the faces around him, Declan was certain that was the conversation that was about to take place.