Chapter Fifty Seven

"Well?" Sirius asked, leaning forward to listen intently

"Well?" Sirius asked, leaning forward to listen intently. Asteria let out a sigh as she fell back against the window. She was sat sideways on the bench in their train compartment with her legs extended down the seat to where Sirius sat. She didn't exactly have an answer to his question and really just wanted to take a nap.

"I mean... I guess you could... Does James know how you feel?" She asked hesitantly.
"Is that code for you don't know?"

Asteria let out a slight laugh and nodded, "Yeah, I don't know." She admitted with a shrug.

Sirius let out a frustrated sigh and sunk down in his seat. "I don't know what to do!" He complained.

"Let me get this clear." Asteria began, desperately just wanting to help, "James wants to question Regulus about what the Slytherins are up to. Yeah?"
"Pretty much." He nodded.

She cocked her head to the side, "Why don't you want James to talk to him?"

Sirius pursed his lips, not really having the vocabulary to put it into words. "I just..." He trailed off.
"And you don't want to talk to Regulus yourself?" Asteria questioned further.

"God no. That would be the worst possible scenario." Sirius quickly shook his head.

She pursed her lips and thought carefully before suggesting, "And what if I talked to him? Just to ask if he knows anything else."
"No." Sirius answered firmly.

Asteria let out a long, soft breath. She was at a loss as how to approach the situation. Returning to Hogwarts had the threat of danger from the Slytherins hanging over their heads and still the group of friends hadn't solved the mystery. Asteria and the Gryffindors didn't know what to do or even how to go about finding out what was best to do.

"I don't have any other ideas. I really do think we need to get answers though. We need to find out what they're planning. Maybe Regulus is our best shot." Asteria admitted.

"What makes you say that?" Sirius furrowed his eyebrows, rather sceptical of the idea that his brother could be helpful.

Asteria hadn't spoken of what moment was truly playing over in her mind. The night her, Sirius, James, and Lily ventured into the Forbidden Forest. Regulus has signalled to Asteria to duck and avoid the potentially lethal curse Avery sent flying. Regulus could very well have saved Asteria's life but still she kept her promise to the boy and hadn't told anyone of the good deed he'd done.

"I just... I don't know. I don't think he's as bad as we think he is." She carefully skimmed around the topic.

Sirius groaned, "I just want this to be over already."
"Same." Asteria mumbled.

Just then, there was a knock at the door and then it flew open, slamming against the wooden frame and rattling.

"How did I know you two would be together?" James tutted, striding in and collapsing into the seat opposite them.
Sirius chuckled, "Perhaps because I told you this is where I'd be?"