EIGHTEEN: NO PULSE

Chapter 18: No Pulse

"I don't wanna die, I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all."

•

The hospital doors slammed open and the sight that came through was not for the light hearted.

"We need help!" Dustin screamed out, tears streaming down his face as he lost his shit.

"She's not breathing!" Max cried as Steve carried the young girl through.

"What happened?" A nurse asked running over to them, "I need a stretcher and Doctor Cho immediately!"

"What happened, sir?" She asked Steve softly.

"She was attacked!" He lied, "by some sort of animal and she needs help!"

"What happened to you, sir?" The nurse asked the boy as she looked at the bruises on his face,

"That doesn't matter right now, please, just save my sister," Steve begged the woman who saw how desperate he was. She nodded solemnly, seeing how much the older sibling cared for the girl in his arms.

A team of nurses and doctors rushed over and Steve carefully put Eve on the stretcher. She was instantly hooked up to a mobile heart monitor and an IV.

"Somebody needs to tell me what happened."

The words barely registered in Steve's mind as he began to follow the stretcher his sister was on - the four kids staying behind to tell the nurse a fake story they'd made on the way to the hospital.

"Eve, Eve I'm right here, can you hear me?" Steve asked, following as the doctors took her unconscious body through another corridor.

"We need ECG" The doctor spoke, Steve didn't know what at meant. A shrill beep was heard, the noise not stopping as Steve's heart sunk. He looked at the monitor through his tears.

"She's flatlining." A nurse spoke as she hooked the girl's body up to an oxygen mask.

"Get her to Trauma 2. Start another IV." The doctor instructed before turning to Steve and stopping the teen from moving with his hand, "Sir, I need you to step back."

"But my sister-" Steve argued, trying to get to the stretcher that had disappeared round a corner.

"Needs you to wait here for her," he tells him, putting a hand on his shoulder, "go back to those other kids and let us do what we do best; saving lives."