TWENTY ONE

chapter twenty one;
immunes

"WE WERE IN THE MAZE TOGETHER" Thalia smiled. Minho nodded and the others started to lower their hands down. Thalia turned back to her two friends in front of her.

"How about Rachel? Where is she?" Harriet asked, a glint of hope visible in her eyes. Thalia and Aris' face darkened and they looked down. Harriet didn't need their answers to know what was going on. "Oh..." she said. "Well, at least you guys are safe, that's all that matters" Harriet smiled, putting her hand on Thalia's shoulder. Thalia smiled.

Harriet turned away from them and whistled loudly. "We're clear, guys! Come out, now!" she yelled. Thalia could see people coming out from each corner of the cliffs, most of them holding guns.

"I still can't believe you're alive, Thals" Sonya said, pulling her into a hug. Thalia smiled and hugged her back.

"I can't believe it either" she grinned. Sonya smiled at the girl and she turned to Aris.

"C'mon. Let's go" Harriet said as she walked. Sonya and Aris followed behind them. Thalia turned to her friends and gestured them to follow.

"Guys, let's go" Thalia said to her friends behind her and they followed her down the tunnel. Newt caught up with Thalia. Acknowledging his presence, she turned to him and smiled. "Hey" she greeted.

"Hi" he said. "You're okay?" he asked. Thalia nodded.

"Yeah, better than ever" Thalia grinned. He smiled.

"How's your leg?" he asked. Thalia froze. The bite. She hasn't thought about if for a while. The virus could be spreading right now, but oddly enough she didn't feel sick nor in any pain. Maybe she's immune. Or it's still spreading, just not as fast.

But none of those words came out of Thalia's lips. All that came out was, "It's fine" she said with a smile on her face. Newt nodded. They walked through the tunnel as Sonya and Harriet led them to a group of people with cars and supplies. Thalia furrowed her eyebrows. "How did you guys get here?" she asked. Harriet and Sonya turned to her.

"The right arm got us out" Harriet answered. Thalia didn't get a chance to answer before Thomas cut her off.

"The right arm? Do you know where they are?" he asked. Harriet opened the car door and smiled.

"Hop in" Harriet said. Thomas glanced at Thalia as she nodded. Thomas went in the car, followed by Minho, Teresa and Sonya.

They all couldn't fit in one car, so Thalia went with Aris, Newt, Harriet and Frypan on the other car. The driver started up the engine and Thalia was sitting on the back seat with Aris, Newt and Frypan. "I wonder if animals are still around" Thalia said. Newt turned to her and chuckled.

"What?" he asked.

"I mean, think about it. We've walked through the scorch for the last weeks and we didn't see one animal on the way" she said. "I mean we have a pig on my left here, but he doesn't count" Thalia said, refering to a sleeping Aris. Newt laughed and she followed, earning a smirk from Harriet. Thalia rolled her eyes at the girl as they continued on their journey.

━━━━

"We're here" Harriet said from the front seat. Thalia followed Aris out of the car and her eyes widened at her sight. There were tents with people working here and there. Some of them were carrying supplies and some of them were resting with their friends. This reminded Thalia a lot about her maze. Except, the people here didn't worry about getting eaten by grievers. "They've been planning this for over a year now" she said. "This is all for us" Harriet added.

"You guys are lucky we found you when we did. We're moving out on first light" Sonya said. A guard walked by and Sonya stopped him. "Where's vince?" she asked.

"Somewhere over there, I think" the guy said, pointing at their right. Sonya nodded and they turned right.

"Who's Vince?" Thalia asked.

"He's the one who decides if you get to stay" Harriet smiled. "I'm sure he'll let you stay" she added.

"What kind of people that he let to stay?" Thalia asked.

"Immunes" Harriet said. Thalia's breath hitched. Immunes. So, she's either immune and get to stay with her friends and have the flare virus not spreading, or being not immune, possibly turn into a crank soon and leave without her friends. She very much prefer the first one. Minho's word shifted Thalia's attention.

"I thought the right arm were supposed to be an army" he said. Neither Sonya nor Harriet could answer before Vince cut them off.

"Yeah, we were. This is all what's left of us" he said, walking towards them. "A lot of good people died getting us this far" he said. He turned to Harriet. "Who are they?"

"Immunes" Harriet answered. I don't know about that, Thalia thought. "Caught them coming up the mountains" she added. Vince nodded.

"Did you check 'em?" he asked.

"I know these guys, Aris and Thalia" she said pointing at them. "I trust them" she added.

"Well I don't. Check 'em" he said. The guards made their way closer to them and Thalia felt more and more uncomfortable and anxious as the distance between them shorten. The guards stop as they heard a voice behind them.

"That won't be necessary" Thalia turned and a lady was walking towards them.

"We need to check on them, doc" Vince said. The women shook her head.

"No. They're immune, trust me" she said. She stopped and turned to both Thalia and Thomas. "Hello, Thomas, Thalia" she said. Thalia furrowed her eyebrows and glanced at Thomas, only seeing him with the same confused expression.

"What?" Vince asked.

"You know me?" Thomas asked. Thalia nodded at her friends.

"Yeah, how do you know us?" she asked. The woman stared at them and nodded her head.

"Interesting" she said in a low breath. "It make sense they'd put you guys in the maze" she added. Thalia shook her head. How does she knows that? The woman walked over to them. "Though, I must admit.. I was worried they'll kill you after what you did" she said. Thalia turned to Thomas and he shook his head.

"What did we do?" Thalia asked. The women smiled.

"The first time we spoke, Thalia, you said you couldn't take it anymore. Watching your friends die, one by one. And then you brought Thomas over" she said turning to Thomas. "The last time I saw the both of you, you gave me the coordinates of every WICKED's compound, trials and labs"

"They were our sources" Vince said.

"We couldn't have pulled this all off without them" the women said. She smiled at Thalia before making her way over to Vince. "Give these guys some warm clothes" she told the guards before turning to Thalia and Thomas. "Make yourself feel at home" she smiled and walked away with Vince.

Thalia stared at the woman as she went in some kind of tent. Who was she? How did she knew her and Thomas? So many questions popped into Thalia's mind, just as Aris broke her thoughts. "This is why I put up with you, Thals. Even though you're annoying, being friends with you will always have its benefits"

A/N:
School is being super annoying lol sorry for the lack of updates :/
Anywho, I REACHED #1 ON #NEWTXOC!!!!!
I can't thank you guys enough, seriously. I mean, this story is horrible like-

But, thank you to everyone who has come this far!! Four more chapters till the final 👀 stay tuned :)

-H

EDITED
31/05/2019