TWENTY TWO

chapter twenty two;
the last straw

THALIA DIDN'T KNEW HOW SHE ENDED UP AT THE TOP OF THE HILL. But she did, and for once, she felt peaceful. The breeze of the wind blew Thalia's hair out of her view, allowing her to see her surroundings beneath her. People were packing their stuff up, which Thalia guessed was because they were moving at first light. Aris, Sonya and Harriet were sitting together and Thalia would've went with them, but she needed some alone time right now. Thomas, Minho, Frypan and Newt were on the other side of the hill, probably laughing because of Minho's jokes. Brenda was no where to be seen, so she guessed she was with Jorge.

This reminded Thalia of her glade. This view reminded her of what she'd see when she's on the lookout. Although the sky was different. The mixture of orange and pink painted the sky. She didn't have those in the maze, obviously because it was artificial. But the vibe, the happiness and the positivity that she felt on the maze nor here was not artificial. People felt happy and safe here. People have their foods and supplies all ready for them to have. All because of the right arm.

Thalia looked down and glanced at her leg. The bandage was dirty and it was probably better to take it off and replace it with a new one. That is if it's not covered in dark black veins. Thalia somehow wrapped her fingers around the bandage and slowly unwrapped it. The bandage's soaked in blood, but only dried blood was on her leg.

A thin line scar was visible, but no bite mark nor black dark veins was there. Thalia sighed in relief. This means that she's immune. This means that she'll get to stay with her friends and possibly have a happy future with someone that she loves. Just then, that certain someone walked over to her with a smile that made her lips curled into a smile.

"Hey" he said, sitting down next to her. She smiled at the boy before replying.

"Hi" she said. "I love it here. The people seems happy" she commented. He nodded.

"Yeah. How bout you?" he asked. Thalia turned to him and sighed.

"I'm... relieved" she smiled. Newt furrowed his eyebrows.

"Of what?" he asked. Thalia paused before answering his question.

"When I was with Brenda, we ran into a crank and it bit me on the leg" she said, extending her left leg. "And I thought that I was just going to turn into a crank and go insane" Thalia expressed. The tears were struggling to get out, but she forced it not to. "For a moment, I thought that there's no reason for me to live" she turned to Newt. "Because what's the point, you know? If I'm just going to go insane and hurt others, then what's the point of living?" her eyes glistened in tears but none of it rolled down her cheek. She waited for Newt to respond, but he didn't. Instead he held her hands and let her continue. "I've always had that thought. Especially at the maze. But when I was in the maze, something- well, someone- stopped me from having those thoughts" she smiled.

Newt's eyes were locked with her as he gave her the softest smile. "So, when I woke up after that night at the club and saw that person right in front of me, I knew that I have something to hold on to on this planet" she smiled. Newt let out a small laugh before he leaned in and Thalia closed her eyes. Their faces were just inches away when Newt stopped.

"Is it Thomas?" he asked. Thalia giggled as she put her had on his cheek and pulled him closer.

"Shut up" she said. With a smile, she pulled him closer and their lips met and she felt the same butterflies she felt in her dreams. They pulled away and she rested her forehead against his. Both of their lips were curled into a big smile. They pulled away as they heard a gasp from the bushes. Thalia turned to the bushes to see Aris' face popped out of it with the biggest grin on his face.

"You guys!!" he grinned. Thalia groaned at the boy and Newt chuckled.

"Aris, this is the last straw!" Thalia exclaimed. Aris stood and put his hands up in defense. "Go!" she urged.

"Okay, okay!" he said. Thalia rolled her eyes as he went down the hill and trip over a vine, earning a laugh from Newt. She turned back to Newt.

"Sorry bout him" she said. Newt chuckled.

"Shall we do that all over again?" he asked. Thalia nodded and put her hand on his cheek.

"We shall" she smiled. They leaned in for another kiss, and this time, Aris wasn't there to ruin their moment. They pulled away and she smiled. "I love you" she said, out of the blue. Those words just blurted out of Thalia's lips. But she meant it. Newt has the biggest smile on his face before he replied.

"I love you, too" he said. Thalia giggled, before she was stopped by a loud explosion beneath them. They snapped their heads towards the sound and the big tents were replaced by fires and explosions. Thalia stared at the view wide eyed and turned to Newt. "Let's go" he said, standing up. "Thalia, let's go" he said as he walked down the hill. He pulled his hands up and Thalia took it as they ran down.

The people who were once packing their stuff were running for their life and some of them were carrying their guns and weapons. A helicopter flew over them and as the ropes were thrown down, guards came down, carrying a gun and shoot everyone in their way. Thalia saw Aris, Sonya and Harriet running to the left side and she called them out. "Aris! Sonya, Harriet!" she yelled through the sounds of explosions. Aris snapped his head towards her and an expression of relief washed over his face as he jogged towards Thalia and Newt.

"Aris, do you see the others?" Newt asked, not letting go of Thalia's hand. Aris pointed to the center where Vince was with a huge cannon as Minho, Frypan, Harriet and Sonya surrounded him, each of them carrying a gun and shooting every guards that came in their view.

"They're there" he breathed. Thalia turned to the boy.

"A, what the hell is going on?!" Thalia yelled. Aris gulped.

"It's WICKED, Thals. It has always been"

EDITED
31/05/2019