First Robbery

October 28, 1930. Chicago, Illinois. 

"No backing out now, you have to be strong." Dark blue met light blue as Tikki stared Marinette down face to face, her eyes more intense than Marinette had ever seen them. Marinette was sure her eyes looked terrified, and Tikki must have noticed it, for as she put a small revolver in Marinette's hand, she softened her voice a bit, although the intensity was still there. "Think of why you're doing this Marinette. Be strong. You and Chat Noir have been preparing for this for two weeks, every single day. You're a natural with a gun, although I hope you never have to use it," Tikki mumbled the last bit under her breath," and you know the plan inside and out. You can do this, for your family and everyone else that needs you."

At Tikki's last words, Marinette's face stiffened into a look of determination. "You're right Tikki. I have to do this." Marinette tucked the revolver under her jacket before tightening the ladybug-themed handkerchief wrapped around her neck.  She turned her head to look out the window at the general store across the street. "I will do this." 

*** 

"Are you ready, kid?" Plagg stared down at Adrien, who had one foot propped up on a bench inside Plagg's general store.

 "Ready as I'll ever be, I suppose," Adrien replied, clicking the drum of a Tommy gun loaded with ammunition into place. 

"Now remember, no shooting unless it's absolutely necessary, alright? You're going to already be charged with armed robbery after this, and we don't need that getting worse because someone ended up shot." 

"I know, Plagg," Adrien replied sincerely, looking his friend in the eyes as he slipped black gloves onto his hands. "It's not like I want to shoot anyone, anyways. That's about the last thing I'm going to want to do." 

"Alright Cat Noir," Plagg began, looking up at the clock mounted behind the counter, "It's one o'clock. Showtime." 

Adrien nodded, turning around to head out the door, although he stopped short when Plagg called his name. Adrien looked back over his shoulder. 

"I'll see you around, kid." Plagg gave a solemn nod.

Adrien gave a small smile in response. "You will." 

***

Chat Noir leaned on a black car in a dark alleyway, arms folded as he watched a small figure make her way towards him. "Ladybug, fancy meeting you here," Chat Noir grinned, pushing himself off the car and making his way towards her. 

Ladybug stared up at the mysterious blonde, looking into his piercing green eyes that shone through the holes in his black mask. She couldn't find any words to say. She had been working with him for two weeks to get ready for this, but they never actually spoke about anything other than the robbery. Could she trust this man? She was about to partake in the riskiest thing she had ever done, and probably will ever do, and this was someone that she had to trust to be her partner and help get her in and out safely. Ladybug didn't even realize she had begun to shake until a black gloved hand picked up her's, its thumb running over her knuckles in a soothing gesture.

"Hey, it's okay. Everything is going to be fine. I know you don't really know me," Chat Noir looked into Marinette's eyes and spoke as if reading her mind, "but you can trust me. I'm not just doing this because I want money. Hell, I don't need any money for myself. I'm doing this for the same reason you are, and that's to help those who need it. I'm no stone cold thief with a gun." Marinette was then surprised to feel her hand being moved to sprawl across the left of Chat Noir's chest. "I have a real, beating heart in here, see?" Chat Noir stared down into big blue eyes, hoping that she couldn't feel his heart-rate beginning to pick up.