Chapter Twenty ~

(Evangeline's POV)

When I was sixteen, my father and I realized my mom wasn't feeling as well anymore. Her strength was failing her and the soreness that erupted in her muscles was unlike any other. She was too young to be plagued with achy bones. So as any other concerned family would do, my dad and I got a doctor to see what was wrong with her. His conclusion was that it was just a cold – nothing to worry about. But it escalated, and soon the Queen of Aaliyah couldn't even get up from her bed to do her work. She was bed-ridden and it was awful to see her at such a vulnerable state. Her hair was always delicately brushed when I came to see every day, but her skin was frail and pale. Her eyes were always dark and gloomy and the smile that she painted on her face for everyone was so fake.

The doctor's next prognosis was that it was the influenza. But that didn't work. Nothing worked. Her condition was declining until the point where that a fake smile was never put on. She would just look at me sorrowfully when I entered to tell her about my day and spend time with her.

"I don't know what it could be," the doctor sighed. "I'm sorry to have failed you but I don't think any experience in the medical field could help you come up with a solution."

My father sent him off with no cure in hand. It was then I realized that my mom was going to die.

My mom was going to die.

I stayed by her side every moment I could. From the second that doctor left, I swore that I would forever fund the doctors and apothecaries in Aaliyah. There wouldn't ever be an untreatable disease. I didn't want other people to see their mom suffering for a month. No one should have to go through that.

The days ticked by and each minute I prepared myself for some servant to run down the stairs and skid to a stop in front of me to tell me that she had breathed her last. And when it came, it was just minutes before she perished.

"Evangeline," she whispered through labored breaths. "Take care of Aaliyah."

I nodded, swallowing my tears. "I will, mom. Don't worry."

"Your dad is going to have a hard time when I'm gone," she chuckled. I never understood the point of her laughter. The maid with me always said it was because she could see the angels coming for her and the joy being freed from her pain overwhelmed her. I thought otherwise, but never stated my opinion. "You need to stick by him."

I nodded again. But before I could utter anything, her eyes closed and her tight grasp she had on my hand loosened. I frowned. "Mom? Are you alright?"

She didn't respond. The smell of lavender swirled around me from the oil that the maids would rub on her skin.

"Mom? Answer me!"

I felt the maid take my arm and I shook her off me. "Mom! Wake up!"

"Princess Eve, I'm afraid she's passed," the maid stuttered. I could hear the tears in her voice. Not only was this going to tear my world to bits, but everyone in the castle, and every citizen in Aaliyah.

It's easy to understand now why I would freak out over someone saying that I was sick with possibly no cure. I couldn't have that happen. I had to live up to my parents' legacy. I had to stay strong and rule for as long as I could.

I was going to get better, for my mom. I was going to carry out her reign no matter what.

---

Everyone in the beginning chapters: omg, she needs to chill. 

Me: Okay, so everyone hates you, Eve, but welcome to my life.

Everyone last chapter: OMG NO THIS CAN'T HAPPEN

Me: So you're going to be sick for a while, Eve, but I made everyone like you.

Eve: *why has my creator made me this way?? kill me now*

Also-

Me: Blaine is actually Jackson :)

Everyone: YES OMG I LOVE HIM NOW

Me, writing the coming chapters: You're going to hate him :)