Chapter 17

Tina sat on a poolside lounger at a lush tropical resort, an umbrella’ed drink on the table beside her. A man walked from the bar across the pool, towards her and stopped, blocking the sun. She glanced from beneath her wide brimmed straw hat.

            He flashed a smile her way.

            “Excuse me, do I know you?” she said. There was something about him.

            “Yes, you do.” He moved closer.

            It was Jamey. The look on his face held such love that she blushed. She hadn’t seen him in a very long time but he still loved her. Something tangible stopped her from jumping up to wrap her arms around him.

            He knelt and took her hand in his. “It’s good to see you too.” He kissed her palm, never taking his eyes from her face.

            The feeling of warmth and safety that enveloped her was like nothing she’d ever known. Without a doubt, this man was hers. Jamey would never do anything to hurt her and had always put her first, even though he’d been gone. Unlike Hank whose head turned with every young girl who passed by, every bikini, cocktail waitress, female dive instructor, the heiress from Atlanta whose interest in Hank almost had Tina cancel the wedding. But not Jamey. Tina sat up and sank into his arms, “Yes.” She breathed in the musky scent of his neck.

            Then they were in a room barely big enough for the brass bed it held with snowy white linens. The open windows framed three sides of the small room and a light breeze rustled the poplin curtains. Hovered over a turquoise ocean, like a balcony jutting over a Tahitian sea, the room was a perfect fantasy.

            Jamey lay back on the pillows, smiling lazily at her. She went to him and taking his angled face in her hands, she kissed him long and deep, her tongue tasting the sweetness of this man. He responded, almost hesitantly. When his kiss deepened, he flipped her over to her back, pressed himself into her thighs and then broke away. His face, inches from hers, was almost pained. “You have always been my reason.”

            His words left her breathless. She sank into his blue eyes and imagined taking him back with her, into her soul.

            “I don’t know if I can stop this. I’ve waited so long to be with you.” His face was stoic.

            “Don’t.” She drew him to her and their need escalated. She wiggled out from under and pulled her shirt over her head as she mounted him. Clothes were tossed aside. Skin on skin, hot breath, legs wrapped around each other. “I love this.” She kissed his hard stomach and slid lower. “And this.”

             “No.” He reached down, his whisper gravelly.

            Inching up, she kissed his neck, burrowing into his salty scent. “Slower?” She could feel his hardness against her thighs.

            “No. I don’t want to do anything you’ll regret.”

            “Ha. I won’t regret this.” She was ready for him.

            “Tina. I don’t think you are.” He drew back and studied her face.

            “I trust you.” She’d melted into him with bottomless emotion. God, she loved this man. Rocking her hips under him, she whispered, “Jamey. Come on.”

            He chuckled, pulling her down to hold her, as if to stop her movement.

            He smelled of the ocean. Like possibilities of freedom. “Give in.” She kissed just below his jaw line and he moaned. “Jamey, let go,” she coaxed.