chapter 18- We're no one

Ashleigh’s POV

“How the hell can he treat me like that?!” I shouted off the roof top of the Gotham city cathedral, I sat on the marble gargoyle figure on the corner of the roof, and brought my hands up to my face. Large drops of rain slammed against my skin, and the cold marble figure, and then a black shadow loomed over me. I looked over my shoulder, and stood up slowly I looked down at my hands and then to my waist. My utility belt was still strapped tightly to me, then everything moved so slowly, I crouched low to the floor as the Batman leaped to tackle me, I felt every drop of rain which hit me as I went from a crouch to a fighting stance. Both I and the batman stared at each other, but this time there was no resent behind the mask, just a cold look that chilled me. “What do you want?” a simple question with a simple answer, he wanted to take me to Gotham city police station.  His poker face was something to admire, “who are you?” I shook my head, as the rain poured harder, “I’m something that isn’t wanted.” I walked up to the Batman, “and who are you?” there was still no sign of emotion from his cold stare, “I am no one.” I chuckled at his answered, “good answer, I can say the same. I’m nobody, and no one.”

 I looked above me at the swollen clouds above me, and back to the masked saviour of Gotham, “Aren’t you going to take me to the Gotham police station?” I questioned turning away from the masked man, “no.” I looked over my shoulder at the Batman sighed. I walked back up to the masked man, “either you understand what I’m going through and feel sympathy for me, or you don’t understand and still feel some sort sympathy so which one is it?” But he never answered, he just stood there silent and still. I shook my head “which ever it is, I don’t care. No one can help me.” I turned away from him to walk away, but he caught my wrist, “I am no one.” I pulled my wrist from his grasp, “well then maybe you can help.” We just stood there, staring at each other. No one moved on one spoke. I felt the rain get heavier as lightning began to strike around us, and as the thunder began to shake the swollen sky’s. As the next large strike of lightning hit the ground, I ran from the Batman. Maybe he could help me, but he couldn’t right now.

Scarecrow’s POV

This was foreign territory for me; more than anything I was rather worried at Ashleigh’s reaction. Had I hurt her again? I sighed and knocked on Harley’s and Joker’s door, I made sure that I brought a vile of fear toxin with me just in case something went wrong. Harley answered the door with a large grin, “hey Scaredy-crow, what do you want?” I stuck a hand in my pocket and grabbed my vile of fear toxin, and grabbed hold of it tightly, “well Ashleigh seemed to react badly to something I said, and she’s run off. But more than anything, how did I offend her so much to make her react so badly?” Harley stuck her hands on her hips, and cocked her head to the side.

 I knew women could become very fierce creatures when provoked, so I grabbed my fear toxin in my pocket even harder. “Well what the hell did you say?” Harley was now angry with me, I swallowed loudly and answered, “I told her, that I took her from Arkham Asylum because she would be a good asset to the criminals of Gotham.”  Oh god, she was now really angry with me, “oh god Scarecrow you are stupid for a guy with a doctorate. She gave such a bad reaction because you decided to be insensitive towards her; she probably wanted to know, if you like her or not.” “Damn it!” I shouted, I wish I wasn’t to god damn, guarded about my emotions, “Harley we need to find her.” Harley still looked mad at me but her eyes softened, “I’m only helping you because I like Ashleigh.” I nodded, I just hopped she hadn’t run into Batman again.

Ashleigh’s POV

I ran as fast as possible over the roof tops of west Gotham, tears and rain blurred my vision. Lightning flashed to my right which made me run fast, suddenly the edge of the roof came too quickly and the next thing I knew I was falling through the cold damp air, I wanted to close my eyes but my body wouldn’t allow it. Suddenly an arm wrapped around my waist and I was pulled through the air to a high roof, I pushed myself away from the body with helped, the thunder growled through the air. I didn’t want help right now; I brought my hands up to my eyes and wiped my blacked eyes and cheeks due to the mascara runny from my eyelashes.

The lightning flashed behind the Batman, which makes him look distorted, I stumbled backwards and landed on the tiled roof behind me. I looked at the batman as he advanced towards me. I kept my eyes on him as I used my hands to claw myself to the edge of the roof. I stood back up as I felt the edge of the roof under my hands, I looked away from the Batman to look at the drop behind me, I looked back over my shoulder and he was gone.

I jumped off the roof, and looked down and there stood the batman, directly below me. I was falling to fast to grab any sort of ledge without an injury. I fell straight into his arms. The rain began to fall even harder as the lightning strikes became more destructive and the thunder around us more powerful. I felt the batman wrap his thick cape around me, “like I said I can help you.” I nodded, “but not right now.” He removed his arms from around me, and let me run; leaving him on the roof top alone surrounded by the element, but no one cared because he was no one also.