Reader x Gendry Waters - Why Should I Worry?

A/N- This imagine is based on the song "Why Should I Worry?" by Billy Joel, which was featured in the Disney film Oliver and Company. Sorry it's a bit short. I hope you all like it, and please leave a comment with some thoughts.

The city had always seemed distantly beautiful from your perch on the top of the building you were living in. It was right at the edge of Flee Bottom and was shared with a selection of sad sacks who seemed more than a little disgruntled about living in a shared building, but you quite enjoyed it. There was something calming to you about the noise that seemed so constant in King's Landing, and you hated to think what it would be like out in the countryside.

You winced as the hatch to the roof was thrown open, wishing that you could keep your secret spot just that, instead of having to suffer through some sort of conversation. You twisted your head, glancing at the where the footsteps were coming from. "This spot is taken," you called out, and a head popped over the top, causing you to smile at the man.

"Didn't realise you owned the roof," he grumbled, shifting slightly on the step but keeping his eyes focused on you.

"Finders keepers," you mumbled back, shifting and pulling your legs back on top of the building, "Don't worry, I was just leaving," you added when he continued up the steps, revealing one of the most beautifully built men you had ever seen.

"You don't have to go, I wont be up here long," he told you and you furrowed your brow at him. "I'm a smithy, I don't get much fresh air at work," he answered your unasked question before moving to sit right beside where you had been just seconds before.

"If you're looking for fresh air you're in the wrong city, Mr. Smithy," you chuckled, slumping down beside him and hanging your legs over the edge, kicking your heels against the side of the building.

"Gendry," he laughed, attempting to stop the new nickname in it's tracks, holding out his hand for you to shake.

"Y/N," you told him softly, giving his hand a quick shake before letting it drop back into his lap.

You both sat in silence for a while, staring out over the tops of buildings and down into the streets. "It is an ugly place isn't it," he muttered and you let out a scoff, causing him to look at you in disbelief.

"I was actually just thinking the opposite," you chuckled, your eyes locking for a moment before you forced them back to the landscape in front of you. "It has a personality, no amount of beauty can outweigh that," you murmured, gesturing forward at it.

"Never thought about it that way," he told you quickly, "think i'm always too busy to see the real personality behind it," he added and you nodded in agreement.

"You didn't even see it as a child?" you asked him, smiling as you remembered your own childhood, running through the streets and causing as much trouble as possible.

"I didn't get a chance, I had to take care of my mother," he answered, his voice soft and sweet as it wound it's way into your ears.

The two of you were silent again for a moment, unsure of what else to say. "I'd be happy to show you some of the highlights at some point, if you wanted me too, that is." He nodded, leaning back and looking up at the dark sky. There wasn't a single cloud scarring it and it was lit up with a thousand tiny pin prick stars.

"Now, that is what you call beauty," he whistled, pointing upwards with one of his hands. You snorted again and he looked down at you in shock, "If you tell me you think they're ugly then we can't be friends," he chuckled and you let out a bubble of laughter.

"Don't get me wrong, stars are magnificent and all, but they just aren't my thing," you told him, "they're too far away for me to be interested in them." You could hear the yelling in the street and craned your neck to glance over the edge, spotting your friends waving up at you. "I'm sorry, but that's my call to arms," You laughed, shuffling back and getting to your feet, "It's been nice talking to you, hopefully I'll bump into you again." He smiled and nodded as you turned to leave, getting halfway down the ladder and into the building before hearing him call your name, making you glance up at him.

"Thanks for letting me share you spot," he told you softly and you simply smiled at him.

"No thanks is needed," you answered before ducking down and out of sight.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. This money gives me the ability to continue writing in my spare time without having to worry about extra funds and will eventually help me to begin publishing my own works outside of my fanfiction. Follow the link: Ko-fi.com/S6S075KP to pledge money. The link is also available on my profile page and in the comments down below. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x