2: Not A Chance

Perspective of Crown Prince Tristain

Before the ball began, I was straightening my cuffs when my father walked in. Appearance meant a great deal to everyone I would be associating with tonight, so I had to double and triple check that I looked my best. I always looked great, so it was not a challenge. When I saw my father enter, I immediately straightened my posture. "Sir," I said in greeting.

My father was a proud man. He had a heart, but he had never stood for weakness. In all my years of experience, he was only cruel when enraged, so I went along with all of his whims. Staying on my father's good side was the trick to staying untouched. I found it easier than others did. I was similar to him in many ways, which sometimes alarmed me. He held his head high as he addressed me. "Son. I came to speak with you. Are you looking forward to this ball?"

I knew better than to answer honestly. Everything is his world was staged, even his own children. When I was younger, I used to complain about social events like this one, but under pressure, even children learned quickly. "Yes, Father. This ball is an opportunity to further the people's endearment for me."

He nodded his approval, puffing out his chest. His hair was copper like mine, and his face looked a lot like an older version of myself. Often, I was called the spitting image of his younger self. Except for his eyes, which were blue like Guinevere's. "Of course. I have an assignment for you. I have been speaking with the Court and we've made decisions that are imperative for your future."

"I've expected this." I nodded. I knew where this was heading. I had expected it for long weeks of anxiety. Years, to be honest. This was the moment I had dreaded my entire life. My hands were sweaty, so I wiped them on my shirt. "So?" I choked out. "What of my future?"

He cleared his throat quickly. My heart pounded faster as I waited for him to speak. Finally, he did. "You're to be married to Lady Lilianna Castligone. Daughter of a powerful house, she will make for a powerful queen. This will be officially announced at a later time. Today, you must make a good first impression." My hope fell to my feet. Of course I would have to take a wife now. Despite my knowledge that this would happen, my heart hurt. I could never truly be with the one I loved, but I was surprised how much it pained me. I had had years of warning to try to mentally prepare myself...but my heart still ached terribly.

I kept my composure. "I always do. I am your son, after all." I thought of Mother then. Beautiful, kind, and dead before her time. What would she think of me now? Would she approve of my choices? Guin reminded me of her so much it hurt on some days. "And...what of Guin?"

"She will be married to Sir Ralphus Falkland. Good matches make for good breeding." Breeding. Me and my beautiful sister had been diminished to merely building blocks on the tower of kings. Our only achievement remembered would be through our children.

And Peter may very well have no achievements at all. Memory was evanescent, and after a long period of time, everything was forgotten. After a few years, people forgot even that most important to them. My deepest wish was to always remember what I had truly loved, even if it meant living in the past. I wanted to remember the excitement, the happiness, and the love I felt when around Peter, even after he was long gone from my life.

"Very good choice, Father," I said with dignity and respect. Hidden underneath was a pain that he failed to see. He never did. He would never understand my concerns. Haughty selfishness was all that was contained inside his brain. His strongest points had never been intelligence nor tact.