Chapter Thirteen: A Certain Slytherin's Secrets

"I can make bad things happen to people who annoy me. I can make them hurt if I want to."

_Tom, Half-Blood Prince_

Ginevra didn't know how to face Tom when she saw him in Charms later that day. She knew he was the Heir of Slytherin, but what could she do? She wasn't in the past to change his ways. It would be a miracle, but she knew it wouldn't happen. Tom Riddle was simply far too evil for that.

As it happened, she shouldn't have worried about confronting Tom. He asked her first.

"What's going on with you?" He questioned, perfectly impassive as he faced the front.

"What do you mean?" She replied carefully, making sure to avoid eye contact with the nefarious Legilimens.

"You are acting particularly... awkward," he replied after a pause.

Ginevra laughed bitterly. "Says the most emotionless student in the entire faculty."

Tom went silent. She thought she'd gotten away with it. She should have known that it wouldn't be that simple.

*

It was late at night and Ginevra was returning from the library, sneaking around rather stealthily, even if she did say so herself. The problem was, she wasn't alone. There, in the centre of the corridor she was tiptoeing down, was her least favourite person.

"Good evening, Granger," Tom said sharply. "You're lucky I won't give you detention, being out this late."

"Why won't you?" Taunted Ginevra. She was sick of the boy's behaviour.

Tom came closer and stared hard at her. Ginevra shivered.

"Because I don't want anyone to know you were ever here."

The words chilled Ginevra to the very core.

"What d-do you mean?" She stuttered, terrified.

"I mean that in the morning, nobody, including you, will ever know you stepped foot in this corridor," Tom replied coolly.

Ginevra began shaking.

"What, why?"

His face was inches away, and Ginevra turned her head to shrink away.

"Strange," he murmured, "that you should fear me... you cowardly little Gryffindor."

"You know." She was starting to panic now. He laughed darkly.

"You thought I didn't?" He asked, incredulous. "When I was the one that found you? Seeing that tie in the hated colours of red and gold, how could I not?"

"I_" She tried to speak but Tom covered her mouth with his large, spidery white hand.

"No excuses," he said softly. His eyes closed momentarily, and suddenly she was writhing in pain under the force of a non-verbal Cruciatus. "You should have said," he murmured pleasantly, his face near hers again. He invaded her mind in time to see darkness overcome it. Her limp body slid to the floor and he made no attempt to stop it. "Why?" He exclaimed, irritated. "Drip."

There came a light from around the corner.

"Damn," Tom cursed and disappeared into the nearest alcove in time to spot Myrtle Warren turn the corner. 

He watched as the spotty Ravenclaw approached the fallen girl, peered around through her thick spectacles and hastened off to fetch a teacher. As soon as Warren was gone, Tom hurried back and charmed Granger to levitate. Then he ushered her through the corridors with his wand and, soon, there was no crime left to be seen.

*

Ginevra awoke confused. This wasn't a typical feeling for the studious girl, and therefore she was surprised, and found herself daydreaming at breakfast, instead of paying attention to the nattering Myrtle.

"I'm telling you, Granger," the other girl was saying, "you were out cold in that corridor. I brought Professor Dumbledore back, and you were gone. He must've thought I was mad. What happened to you?"

"I don't know," Ginevra answered, bewildered. She could hardly remember ever saying those exact words. "I don't recall being there at all. Maybe I was sleepwalking?" 

It was more of a question than an explanation.

"Yes," continued Myrtle. "You were sleepwalking, and you hit your head. Somehow, you wandered back to your dormitory by the time I got back. It makes sense, I suppose."

"There's Ravenclaw brains for you," Ginevra stated sarcastically. 

Luckily, Myrtle didn't notice, as Alphard Black chose that moment to pop up before them.

"Hiya Myrtle," the Slytherin said cheekily, "wanna go for a walk?"

Myrtle, obviously flattered, nodded at once and followed the older boy out. Ginevra watched the two leave and then glanced over at the Slytherin table. One Heir of Slytherin wasn't there. And that fact made Ginevra decidedly nervous.

*****

A.N. What will happen next? Who knows?

Thank you for reading and PLEASE COMMENT!!!!!!!!!