CHAPTER ONE

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER ONE: I DON'T GIVE A DAMN
ABOUT MY BAD REPUTATION

CASSIE HARRINGTON WAS anything but what the parents in Hawkins, Indiana wanted their children to act like

CASSIE HARRINGTON WAS anything but what the parents in Hawkins, Indiana wanted their children to act like. She was reckless, dishonest, impolite, and stubborn. Cassie knew she had a bad reputation in this small town, and she wasn't ashamed about it one bit.

"Cassie, darling," said her mother, walking into her room. "Can you at least try to look presentable today? You look like you just rolled out of bed."

"Why should I?" Cassie questioned. "This is what I look like and if anyone has a problem with that then they can go suck my—"

Before she could finish her sentence, Cassie was abruptly cut off by her older brother, Steve, "Cass, let's go you little dipshit. I don't want to be late because of you."

Cassie rolled her eyes and swung her backpack over her shoulder, racing down the stairs and out the door before her father glanced up from his morning paper.

"Nuclear family," Cassie muttered to herself. "What a joke."

"Jesus," said Steve, throwing on a pair of sunglasses and fixing his hair in the mirror. "My hair is a mess."

"Let's just get out of here," Cassie spoke as Steve backed out of the driveway.

Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran immediately blasted out of the stereo, causing Cassie's hands to shoot up to her ears, "Steve! Turn that shit down!"

Steve ignored her like she wasn't even there, continuing to jam out to the music. Cassie rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, watching the trees as they passed by and trying her best to ignore her idiotic older brother.

When arriving at Hawkins Middle, Cassie forced herself up out of the car, Steve yelling, "I can't drive you home from school because I'm giving Nancy a ride!"

"So I'm supposed to just walk?" shouted Cassie, throwing her arms down in defeat. "Are you kidding me?"

"Don't be such a brat," shouted Steve, rolling up the window on my side of the car. "You'll survive. Later!"

Steve then zoomed away—Cassie flipping him off as he did so. She then stormed into the school, ignoring the stares she got from multiple students crowded around the entrance.

The halls were crowded with people, like they always were. There were the cliquey girls, who were lead by Stacey—the most popular girl in school. Cassie and Stacey never got along, for boys and makeup were the only thing that truly mattered to her. Beyond Stacy were the jocks, and between them, the parade of band geeks with their huge instrument cases slung over their shoulders. About ten feet away from them were the AV club boys huddled around Mr. Clarke, who was their Earth and Biology teacher.

When the bell rang, the students reluctantly disappeared into their classes, leaving the hallway completely empty. Cassie had Biology first hour, but she was never on time. When she strolled into class five minutes late, Mr. Clarke stopped in the middle of his sentence and turned to face her.