29: It Goes On

I pulled on black wrist guards and pulled my cloak's hood into place. Everything was set. Next to me, my companions blended into the dark night. I barely even noticed the darkness anymore. There was no need to fear the monsters hiding in the night when the worst monsters were the ones right in front of your face. Or so I told myself.

Tonight, I was on a mission to kill the very worst monster. I touched the dark blades sheathed in my belt as a reassurance. I could do this. With Key and Maeve by my side, we could do it. Along with the magic stored away in my pocket, we could do this. Believing we could was the first step to getting it done. "Okay. Are we ready?" I asked Maeve.

She was wearing a hood for the first time since I had met her. Her hair was straight and let down today, but you could still see the blonde and blue in the dim light under her hood. She nodded, and I felt sure in our mission. I could not help but think that this might be the last time I see Key or Maeve. If we succeed, then I will stay in the castle as a royal. If we fail, then I will stay in the castle as a prisoner.

We stood in the forest behind the castle, masked only in darkness. We were almost ready to go, only preoccupied with double checking our equipment and making sure we were prepared for the plan that was going to take place. If we were lucky, it would run without a hitch. Alas, the plan had not even begun and I saw a hitch coming towards us through the trees.

Behind my companions, I saw a form slinking in and out of the shadows. I was about to say something when Blade's face emerged from the gloom. My heart sped up in happiness before I remembered everything he said to me the last time we spoke. My face darkened. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm a part of this mission. My sister is still in that castle. After this, consider me out of your life." The thought of him never being around made my heart hurt. But no matter the range of emotions my heart was going through, my face still stayed in a deep scowl. "We don't need you here," I argued to keep up appearances.

"Yes, you do," he said, pulling out a wicked-looking curved blade.

Maeve shot me a suggesting look and I scowled at her.

"Fine." I sighed and did not say another word, looking everywhere but at him. I could feel his gaze on me. I could imagine his face. Brown speckles in blue eyes. A playful grin, knowing that he was right. I shook myself out of those thoughts that would only distract me. "C'mon," I said, waving everyone forward. I ducked behind trees and bushes as I walked forwards towards the castle's back entrance. Stealth was the name of the game here. If we got caught, game over.

Apparently Blade has not gotten the memo. He sauntered through the trees, proud and tall. "Get down!" I hissed at him.

"Why? There's no one here." He looked around pointedly.

"That's what they want you to think. You never know when someone could be watching. You need to be constantly vigilant. Get down!"

He bent his knees a little, but shook his head and kept walking. When I got my hands on him in a time when I could talk, I would wring his neck myself.

We all ducked into the doorway, standing in the dim light of the moon. I sprung on Blade, hissing, "I am the Head of this mission. You are merely a hitchhiker and you question my commands. You have absolutely no respect—"

"No, I really don't. I'd tell you to be quiet so that all the people outside don't hear us, except, wait. There are no people out there."

"There's a thing you should try, it's called being cautious!" My voice grew venomous and I was about ready to kick his miserable, ungrateful butt back into that forest when the servants' door opened.