6 - The Throne

EDEVA

     My first day as queen consort of Mercia starts off awkwardly to say the least. I keep thinking about last night and how different it was to what I expected. I knew there would be a consummation ceremony, and that I would have to give myself to the king, but I thought it would be painful. Or that I would just get on my hands and knees and let him do as he needed until he was finished. It wasn't like that at all. Alekso seduced me, made love to me, touched me in ways that made my head swim and my body turn to liquid. I had my first orgasm by someone else, and then another, and then he woke me up periodically throughout the night and did it all again. Each time when we finished, he would gaze at me with such warmth. Such affection. But could he love me so soon after meeting me? I am no siren; my beauty should not affect a man that much, though he has certainly affected me. I do not know if I love him just yet, but now I am open to the concept far more than this time yesterday.

     I decide it is best not to tell Alekso about my encounter with the demon this morning. As wonderful as last night was, I do not know how he will act when he finds out I sneaked past the guards and ventured outside. The moat surrounding us is wide and deep, but the drawbridge was down - most likely a tired guard ready for his shift to be over - and I just wanted to be alone with my thoughts. Am I allowed out, though? Would Alekso be angry? Punish me, even? I did not want to take the chance. The beast spared me and that is what really matters.

     I think it liked me. If I venture outside again, I should be safe.

     After breakfast, we head to meet Alekso's- and now my- advisors. I take my husband's offered arm as he brings me to the large council room where a group of men stand up at our entrance and gracefully bow. I wonder if this means I will have some political influence after all? I figured I would just be here to make it look like Alekso placated the rebels who constantly fought his oppressive rule.

     "You have already met Commander Anselm, my sweet." He gestures to the man in armor who smiles pleasantly at me. Alekso then introduces me, one by one, to the rest of his council. While many of them were strangers to me, like the Dukes Vlad of Andul, and Marcus of Estia, I cannot help but frown at Lord Bron, Duke of Kass, or the stringy old Lord Jarrett of Sidonya, and of course Ser Harald, the Chancellor. Those men and their families were once my father's subjects; so how they are alive and serving Alekso must have something to do with how my family was deposed.

     Bishop Lambert takes my hand and smiles at me. "Your highness, King Alekso does not come to service on Sundays, but I do hope to see you there."

     I try to hide my anger at the other men from my eyes and smile back. "I would love to. I should familiarize myself with the other ladies of the court, after all."

     "Agreed." Lord Bron grumbles. "She really has no need to be here at council, your highness, does she? Why waste her time? She is a mere figurehead."

     "I felt she should meet you all, and so she has." Alekso seems comfortable with all of them, though he gives Lord Bron a pointed stare.

     "You mean I am not staying?" I pull my hand from the bishop.

     "Your lady Kwenthrith should be waiting outside the door to show you the rest of the castle, dear." He runs his hand up and down my back reassuringly. "While I wish to spend more time with you, I must speak with them first. I will meet you in the throne room when I am finished."

     "But... I should speak with them, too. I am your queen and I did take vows to aid you in ruling this kingdom, did I not?"

     "Hmph, she is your wife for a day and she thinks she can just come in here and tell you how to rule, your highness?" Bron shakes his head.