Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Lyv needed to breathe through her hatred, through her anger, and through her annoyance because of the relationship that Jai and Roshan had formed right under her nose. She understood why Thia was always annoyed with Gideon since Erly loved him.

Two weeks had passed after the crown prince and her dragon met...and Roshan wanted to see Jai every day. And though he'd grown, he still regularly landed in the courtyard of the palace. Lyv had to give him a good talking to, which also included reasons why he shouldn't like Jai so much. Of course, he didn't listen.

It didn't help that she was working with Jai to make sure his magic was back completely. She'd gotten used to him being unconscious in the infirmary, not up and talking and watching her. He'd moved back into his own rooms, but they always seemed to be near one another. And she hated to say it...but she was starting to grow used to his company, even though he was quiet most of the time they were around each other.

Now, he had followed her and Gideon out to the Branvon estate. While Gideon was off flying with Erly, Jai was playing around with Roshan and Posy. Roshan was on his own break after his flight training where they'd put weighted bags in the saddle to simulate a rider. He was doing good, but tired out a lot faster. It would take a few more weeks before Lyv even tried flying with him.

So now, the dragon was sprawled out on his back, the saddle in the grass a few feet away and his wings outstretched, and Jai and Posy were giving him a good belly rub for the good job he was doing. Lyv and Thia were sitting on a blanket on the ground, watching them and looking out for Erly and Gideon. They were also watching for Destan and Laurel, who were supposed to get back to Ayveri that afternoon.

"You know Destan and Laurel will be excited to see Jai," Thia said to her. "I'm surprised they didn't come back after receiving the letter from the king."

"And go against their father's orders? He specifically told them to stay in Waiter for their assigned time. But with the information Jai gave him about the fallen Escarrali king being in Oria, he is sending Michel there instead of going to Blackloch as well."

"But what is he going to do about Blackloch? They're still going up and down the coast terrorizing and raiding villages, especially up in Asturia."

Lyv shrugged and tightened her cloak around her. "I'm not sure. I hope he sends Jai for a few weeks."

Thia eyed her carefully. "What is it about him that you hate so much?"

"I could say the same thing to you about Vandor."

Her friend held her tongue after that.

Autumn was definitely almost in Dalcaine with the chill that started sweeping through in the late afternoons. It was one of Lyv's favorite seasons and she couldn't wait to see the celebration in full swing. Everyone in Ayveri was preparing for the equinox celebration and Lyv saw all the warm-colored decorations going up – red, orange, and yellow balloons and streamers, pumpkins, other gourds, and ears of corn being hauled in from the surrounding farming lands, bright red apples being sold as is or being baked into pies that filled the city with sweet scents.

A loud roar from Erly up above announced her and Gideon's arrival...but also two others. As Erly landed in the space beside Roshan, who was still rolling around in the grass, the sound of pounding hooves came closer. Before they even came to a stop, Destan and Laurel jumped off their horses just as soon as they were close enough and both bolted for Jai.

Jai was smiling before they even got to him. Lyv had to hold her breath as she stared at him, just as she had to anytime he had in the last two weeks. But then his brother and sister were there...and tackled him to the ground.