60 | ACT III, SCENE VIII

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Oh, no, woman. You're not pushing me away. You push me, I'll grab you and pin you against the wall and kiss the heck out of you," Tristan whispered, smirking. "We're in this together."

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT

EDWINA

"WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU move the sword unless you're thoroughly provoked?"

Tristan and I were back in the training room, swords in hand. My right hand was behind my back again, the sword was in my left - we'd resumed our sessions after I'd persuaded him to continue teaching me to fight with my other hand. More often than not I ended up sprawled out on the floor - swordwork with my left hand was still pathetically clumsy, and it kept me in continuous amazement as to how Tristan could fight so deftly with both hands.

"Well, you were doing a damn fine job," I wheezed, my muscles aching. He stood over me, his sword at my throat, and he gently nudged the tip deeper into my skin. "If you're that bored of teaching me, perhaps you should go."

"Well," he cocked his head and a smile grew on his alluring lips. "Teaching you gives me an excellent opportunity to exercise my vocabulary, so I'm not complaining. Get up."

"You are a very cruel teacher," I wailed. "Too stern."

"I am," he whispered. "And it works, does it not?"

I rolled my eyes and he snorted mildly.

"Conceited," I whispered under my breath. My right hand was aching now, very badly. He sensed it, and put down his sword to helpfully bend down next to me.

"There's something in your hair," Tristan muttered, and I opened my eyes.

"Oh. Can you help, please, Valmont?" I asked sweetly, sending him the clear, clear message. His lips twitched slightly as he crossed his arms, then uncrossed them.

"I didn't know you were inept at everything," the handsome god said, making his way over with a knowing look on his face. And instead of just coming and sitting beside me on the floor, he crept up my body, inch by inch, making sure he slid every inch of his body against mine. It created a delicious friction as I sucked in a breath through my teeth, gleefully rubbing my palms internally.

"I'm not inept at everything. I'm quite good at... some things," I whispered, as he came closer.

He propped himself up on an elbow, careful to not put his weight on me, but his body was on mine, his legs were between mine, and his face was just an inch away from mine.