Chapter 30

In the current year 20XX, the old Charleston Bay pier and the district surrounding it that had once been the South Market district wasn't exactly a place that would stir much conversation and was in fact on the decline; so much so that when Isabel drove Davina's black Audi through the streets at barely six o'clock on a Saturday evening, the whole place was like a ghost town with the countless buildings all having their doors closed, rolling metal doors pulled down and others even covered in newspaper from the inside, deserted. The entire place was out of operation.

At present, the few businesses still operating in the south market only ran during morning hours and they usually only had specific regular customers due to building a reputation over the years, but by the evening they would close up and the owners would head home.

However, coming from the future, Isabel knew that this once dead South Market would become the bright and booming 'South Pier' in a few years, coming back to life as the entertainment paradise of Metropolis with countless clubs, bars, casinos and party boats docked at the wharf, sailing every night until sunrise. No one would be able to resist the allure of those flashing neon lights and Isabel was no exception.

A few years from now she would come across a quaint little place that although, was nestled at the very center of that bustling city of lights, was relatively unknown to the public and hardly had any costumers, however, that didn't mean that it wasn't popular.

By then, Kiss of Death was a place that served members only, and not a single one of them wasn't a giant figure in Metropolis or even A Country as a whole.

So, you ask, how did Isabel manage to integrate herself in a place such as that? It was because the place was owned by that bastard 'Tom' and after having her as a customer for a long time and supplying her with information, he coughed up a low rank, silver membership card for her, calling her a 'stressed old lady who needed to let off some steam'. Isabel's teeth still itched whenever she thought back to his flat, monotonous voice calling her like that, but at the same time, she was grateful because that place became her asylum with everything that was going on in her life at that time.

From listening in on the conversations of the other costumers, Isabel came to know that Kiss of Death had been open even when 'South Pier' was still the old 'South Market'. She came here today hoping that she hadn't slipped too far into the past to be able to enjoy her favorite drink.

Parking at a rather obscure street corner, Isabel left the car and walked towards a narrow, out of the way alley and without hesitation, she walked down the path that was slightly dark with only the glow of sunset spilling over her shoulders to light the way.

The alley was only about three meters wide and after the first meter of asphalt, the rest of the path was paved wall to wall with cobblestone. As she walked, the crisp sound of her heels echoing off the walls, Isabel could see that the ground was free of garbage and clean just like she remembered it; she was relieved, this meant that the clean freak, 'Tom', had already started operating his business here.

Five meters into the alley, there was door on the right hand side that if no one was aware or knew what they were looking for, they would walk right past it. The alley walls were made of black brick and the door was of the same black color and in the dark alley, it was a negligible existence and easy to miss.

Coming to a stop before the door, Isabel looked at the metal letters that looked old and rusty, as though they had weathered a long time, but she knew it was just the style of design: Kiss of Death is what it read.

Placing her hand on the door, Isabel pushed it open before slipping in silently. Standing in the doorway, she looked around, surprised that it was just as she recalled it ten years to come.