Chapter 13

Immediately the group had left the building finding a much more serious problem on their hands. Newt led them down the street through busy uptown New York. Lillian was trying her best to still sew together her thoughts while Goldstein bickered on and on about inquiries and obliviating the muggle. Newt looked like a lost puppy searching for his owner, and Lillian couldn't stand this anymore.

Cutting off the annoying detective woman from her ranting, Lillian grabbed Newt's arm and forced him to stop. " Newt, I'm not doing this again," she told him firmly," I already told you I'm not being dragged into anymore of this after what had happened." The look of pain in her eyes struck Newt when he looked down at her. He was so preoccupied about losing all of his animals the past thought of Lillian had left him.

"Lillian, -"

"No," She stopped him while breathing heavily," What happened years ago traumatized me Scamander. Whatever was between us and the incident from the case." Lillian was angry, but had too many emotions flooding from her that she couldn't control herself. She almost wanted to cry right there but kept herself composed in front of him for now. She finally had all of his attention and even Goldstein's who looked off from the side. " I spent years of my life stuck in a never ending abyss because of you. And finally when I thought I escaped my past- by moving across and ENTIRE OCEAN MIGHT I ADD- you bloody show up out of nowhere pulling me right back  into it." She was fuming.

The look of guilt took over Newt's face as she confessed to him. Newt wasn't used to negatively impacting people, and it seemed to be a pattern as Lillian Knight was the one person he negatively impacted the most. While he had not planned this unexpected meeting of the two of them, he does see how unlikely it was.  He had ruined their friendship because he had followed foolish love. His creature scarred her for life and he can only imagine the amount of seclusion her scars left her. He could still see traces of welted skin up her sleeve and he was nervous to see anymore of it.

However, despite her thoughts, he had not forgotten about the little girl he was friends with. She still ran fresh through his mind time and time again, and he always would think of how he could have stopped it all from happening.

But right then and there was not the time to go into a deep conversation. He wanted to deeply apologize to her, but his beasts were loose in New York  and they were facing criminal charges with another government. He firmly grasped both of her shoulders to calm her, " Lillian, I know I've done a lot wrong and I am so so very sorry. But right now, all of my creatures, all of those defenseless beast you once loved are lost in a place they've never been exposed to." Desperation lacing his voice. "I can only plead that you put aside our past for a little while longer, and help find them because If not, I'm afraid a lot worse is to come to them." He begged the woman.

Lillian grew silent as she fought herself internally. She held a strong resentment towards the blue jacketed man, but she knew he was right. As much as she didn't want to admit it. He knew that she loved those creatures and would do anything to help them. And it was selfish of her to bring this all up now as they were all in danger and trouble. She nodded, opening her mouth to continue.

"- Sorry to interrupt," Goldstein stopped Lillian, her face not actually sorry as she's been standing here watching the two argue. The two of them followed her finger as she pointed up to the sky, both noticing a blue creature zooming above them." But um, what is that?"

Newt panicked, once again on alert for his creatures, "A- a moth, I think. Big moth." He stuttered out, turning around and leading them back to the task at hand. Lillian followed him, glancing back at the the small beast she remembered as a Billywig. Huffing, she caught up with the fast paced man as he came up to a large crowd yelling outside of a destroyed building.