f o r t y - f i v e

Remi raised her fist and rapped at the thin wooden door of a small cottage, anticipation building in her stomach.

After a long moment, the door opened to reveal a striking dark skinned man, probably in his late twenties. He was incredibly tall and muscular, and one of the most handsome men Remi had ever seen.

He was also blind.

"Can I help you?" he muttered gruffly, his eyes focused just over her shoulder.

"I'm Remi Goldridge; pleased to meet your acquaintance. May I come in?" she asked brightly, scooting around the man when he didn't reply. She took a seat in his small living room on one of the old, scuffed couches. They looked a many years old, and Remi had to wipe off a layer of dust from the couch before she sat down.

There was a second dark couch to her left, and an ancient leather chair across from her. She could tell that he probably only ever used the red chair.

Slowly, he strode over to her and sat down in his leather chair, staring at her in contemplation. "Fathom Warynn," he introduced himself, his pretty face pinched in annoyance. "Why are you here?" he questioned bluntly.

Remi didn't hesitate. "I've heard you're a contractor. One of the best. I'd like you to assist me in an endeavour."

He stared at her silently for a few moments, a frown creasing his brow.

Remi took the opportunity to look around. Fathom's entire house was probably smaller than her room, but it was homey and clean and painted with warm, earthy tones, and Remi liked it here.

Finally, he replied. "Then you've also heard that no one will hire me anymore. Not since I lost my vision. Tell me, what are you hoping to gain by hiring a man without eyes in his eye sockets to build for you? A lopsided, falling-apart structure?"

Remi shook her head, then remembered he couldn't see her doing so. She leaned forward on the couch, resting her arms on her legs. "I've seen what you can do. And I think you're customers lost faith in you because you lost your vision," she said, wording it like he had in hopes of not offending him. "And not because the quality of your work began to decline."

"Is that so?"

"Yes," Remi confirmed. "So, as I've said before, I'd like to hire you. Would you be interested?"

He let out a deep sigh, something akin to relief, and then stood up and offered Remi his hand. She stood and shook it firmly as he said, "I'd be honoured. Thank you for the opportunity."

———

With a pleasant smile on her face, Remi exited the small cottage home and started out down the paved stone pathway back into the city.

Vertice was much smaller than Merricrest, probably only home to around forty thousand people. It was also terribly brighter—pristine, white paved streets, ebony skyscrapers that seemed to glimmer magically, decorated by a myriad of beautiful, pale-coloured flowers and plants. Everything sparkled in ethereal hues. If she had the time, she could stare and gawk for hours.

A cool breeze fluttered through Remi's hair as she walked, causing strawberry curls to blow across her cheeks. She pulled all her hair to one side in an effort to hinder it from blowing so wildly.

Remi definitely wasn't used to this wind, but she couldn't say she disliked it. The opposite, perhaps. The chilly air was refreshing, and blew away all the unpleasant smells. There was no constant smell of pungent sweat as there was in Merricrest, and the sun tended to hide behind thin clouds at all times. Everything here was so raw and fresh.