Chapter 4: The wizard of the pack

"All the speeches you make in your head/ All the worries that you never said/ Rotten fireworks, kept inside, waiting for a light". (Jane Added, Look at them)

NATE'S POV (first person POV)

"You are to be mated with Nate" 

Suddenly, all eyes converged toward me. I ignored them in favor of two persons. The first one was the man with whom I had been sharing my life for the last ten years. He was my best friend, my rock, my lover and my confident. He also happened to be the Alpha of the pack, which was not as great as people may think. 

Being the Alpha's mate meant a lot of our intimate moments were interrupted, as Darren had to deal with pack-related things on a daily basis, from the most trivial to the most sensitive ones. It meant fearing even more about your destined one's life, as pack leaders were twice more likely to be brutally murdered. It meant pretending to ignore that many people acted nice around you because of your position, but secretly hated you for what they believed to be your privileges.

Being with Darren was no easy job, yet I was determined to spend the rest of my life with him. I could not imagine a life without this overprotecting man by my sides. I knew he seemed intimidating to most, but to me he was a big teddy bear with unlimited resources of love to give.

"You are also to be mated with Darren"

I was still unsure how I felt about the second one. Kyle. Darren and I barely spoke about him, or about what had happened, all these years ago. I knew not talking about things didn't make them magically disappear, but I could not bring myself to address the topic.

"Where the fuck is he going?" mumbled the man standing by my sides, obviously referring to Kyle, who had left the Ceremony in a hurry. 

"Let's get out of here, too" I whispered back. "I hate being the center of attention, and from the look of it, gossips will be going on for days among the pack"

He nodded in approval, and we quickly walked back toward our tent. Kyle was nowhere to be seen, but it wasn't surprising in itself. Outside from trainings and battle fields, where he proved to be exceptionally focused and spirited, it felt like Kyle was not really part of the pack. He was a bit like a ghost.

I mean, the guy had a strong aura, and he was gorgeous, so of course you were kind of forced to acknowledge his presence. However, this presence was mostly physical. Yes, he was there, taking up space, but his eyes were always strangely distant, like he was lost deep inside himself, with no way out. 

"What do we do, now?" I eventually asked Darren, after what felt like hours of silence and was quite unusual for us.

"What do you mean?" 

I sighed and took his arm, forcing him to turn and look at me in the eyes. While he purposely kept his voice light, I knew from his tense shoulders to his obvious restlessness that he was at loss about what to do or what to think. 

It was rare to see him like this. He was mostly a composed, very capable man who had a strong hold on his emotions and didn't have any trouble making a decision. 

Except when Kyle was concerned. 

"You know very well what I mean" I retorted, determined not to let him get away with this. 

"Nate, I'm tired right now and I -"

"You're not tired, you just don't want to talk about it." I interrupted, with a "you-won't-feed-me-your-bullshits" kinda look.