Chapter One

Chapter One

If someone else pushes me in this narrow hallway I'm going to lose it. They think they are being funny by shoving me around, and laughing as I clearly stumbled.

No one helped, as they were all too busy taking in the new entertainment. .

Normally I would brush it off and go on with my day but today was different. It started off badly, poorer than it did most days. My lovely step-sisters thought it would be hilarious to cover my room in silly string while I was sleeping. They were even so considerate to add some to my hair, and set my alarm 3 hours early.

I cleaned as much as I could given the time constraints, and my sloth-like energy in the mornings. The majority of my time was focused on getting the bright red silly string out of my blonde hair where it stood out like a sore thumb. Even after I showered, there was a slight tinge of red in my hair.

I looked like a Ronald McDonald impersonator.

Nevertheless, I persisted and quickly changed into a pair of skinny jeans and a faded graphic t-shirt before bolting out the door. I worked long and hard for three summers to afford my beat down car, and it was worth all the effort. I didn't have to wait for my step-siblings to make me late every morning with the amount of time it took them to get ready.

Normally you wouldn't think it was that bad, but they would kick me out of the car about a half mile away. After some time it made sense to find a new mode of transportation.

I made it to school just as students were making their way to class. The halls were packed, and someone pushed me. I stumbled on the harm impact, unaware if it done by accident or purpose.

I let the first incident go.

The second was a nuisance.

The third time made me want to poke someone's eyes out with my own hands.

It was getting on my nerves, and testing my waning patience. In the end, I resisted the urge to strangle someone by shoving my own way through the hallway to make it to class.

I breathed a sigh of relief opening the door, which was a stark contrast to the groans and grumbles people had upon entering school. Fortunately I found my usual seat in the back row where I was left unseen and out of the spotlight, just the way I like it. I've survived high school by blending in and remaining essentially invisible.

I didn't mind being inconspicuous, it got me this far. Not to mention it made me less of a target. Sure my step-sisters would gang up and get other students to pull pranks on m, but it was only when they were being more vindictive than usual.

Normally, their antics wouldn't phase me. I've had no other choice but to build up my tolerance over the years.

Before my mind could dwell any further, my calculus teacher Mr. Lawrence walked in with a wicked grin on his face which is never a good sign.

"Close your notebooks, we're having a pop quiz."

Perfect.

-------------

The rest of the day goes by, filled with boring lectures and stacks of homework. For a senior I still had a considerable amount of classes. I made sure to take as many extra classes as I could, spending time at school ensured I spent less time at home.

I still lived in the house my father bought to start his family all those years ago. Now, it seems like an entirely new family made themselves at home and I'm stuck as the bridge between the two.

A remnant of the past and a constant throne in the side of the present.

I try to spend as little time at home as possible. Whenever I'm not at school, I'm at work or studying in the library. I see the home of my childhood now as a place to sleep and reset for the next day.

"Adira!" Someone calls out my name in the hallway. I start walking faster, hoping to make it to the cafeteria hidden. The footsteps sounded closer, and I hurried my pace. Only a few more steps. I could make it.

They pulled the back of my shirt, yanking me backwards and almost choking me. I turned around, ready to give them a piece of my mind and found my eyes softening.

"Why are you running?"

I found myself looking at a familiar pair of brown eyes.

"Edmon, you almost scared me to death!" I say, taking a quick look around to make sure no one saw anything. He ran his hand through his dark wavy hair and shrugged.

"I called your name." He replied nonchalantly.

I frowned. "That's still no reason to manhandle me."

"You're being overdramatic." He rolled his eyes at me. "No one saw me, now come on!" He grabbed my arm and started walking in the opposite direction of the cafeteria.

"Where are we going?"

"I'm not letting you grab crappy food from the cafeteria only to sneak into the library and do work while you eat. No, today we are going out to eat." I pulled my arm away from his.

"I'm not so sure about this Edmon."

"Come on Adi, everyone leaves to go to lunch, and we're seniors." I shake my head, that's not what I was concerned about.

"Being in the library is safer." I argue.

He sighs, we've had this conversation before and I know he's just as sick of it as I am.

"How long are you going to keep living in fear of your sisters?"

"Step-sisters." I corrected. "And I'm not cowering in fear, I'm staying out of their way so they stay out of mine."

"Surviving isn't the same thing as living."

"It's only a year left." It's the same mantra I tell myself every morning to motivate myself to get out of bed. It's the same reason I put up with my so called family.

"Whatever you say Adira."

"I promise we'll go tomorrow." I'll be brave tomorrow, although a part of me was still in doubt.

History has proven I've never been brave enough.