Chapter 12

Marble Hornets, Entry 80—Transcript

     [0:00] Video opens with Tim lowering his hand and backing away from camera, having obviously just turned it on. Based on the bed visible in the background he appears to be in a hotel room of some sort, though the location is unknown. He sits in a chair in front of the camera and sighs, pressing his fingers together and leaning his forehead against them. He sits in silence for several moments.
     [0:12] Tim: "They... They're dead." He pauses, unfolding his hands to rub his forehead before continuing. "Jay died. Happened right in front of me. One second he was alive, and the next... he wasn't. And the hooded man, too... He's gone. I finally saw his face, and I saw... I saw it was him." He shuts his eyes and mutters something incomprehensible under his breath.
     [1:13] Tim: "I... I don't know how things ended up like this... how he got to be this way... And I don't want to talk about it, but... It was him. Now he's gone too. They're both gone. Both of them."
      [1:45] Tim pauses to take a few deep breaths and shakes his head.
      [1:49] Tim: "The only good thing is that now, Alex is gone too. We got him in the end. Now I'm the only one left. I just wish I knew if that was good or not." He pauses again to press a hand against his forehead. "I'm not uploading it. Any of it I can't. It's not right. I'm done with this. I'm done. So I'll just tell you guys now... that they're gone. Everyone's gone now. And it's all my fault."
      [2:44] Tim reaches towards the camera, and the screen goes black. Video ends.

~     *     ~

     I stared at the computer screen in silence, just quietly taking it all in. Tim sat at the table across from me, picking at what little remained of his lunch with his fork but not actually eating any of it. Only when I removed the headphones did he finally look at me. "Done?" he asked quietly. I didn't respond right away—or rather, I couldn't. I didn't know what to say, my mind was just blank.

     "...I'm sorry," I finally whispered, bowing my head. Tim just sighed and set down his fork.

     "Yeah, me too. I wish none of that stuff ever happened. But it did, and I can't change anything. Only look back on it with regret. The only consolation I have is that it's over."

     "Except it isn't," I said quietly, my head still bowed. "Because Hoody's still alive." I could feel Tim's gaze on my head, staring at me in silence for a long while.

     "...You keep saying that, but I just can't really believe he's still alive." Leaning back in his chair, he closed his eyes and started massaging his forehead. "I never posted the tapes online, but it happened right in front of me. I know what I saw." I frowned, raising my head to look at him.

     "How'd he die? I mean, you said he was shot, but are you sure he was really dead?" Once again I got no immediate response, Tim just tilting his head back and staring at the ceiling. It seemed that delayed responses would be a recurring theme with this conversation.

     "...The head," he finally said. "Alex shot him in the head after getting his mask off. Bullet went right out the back of his skull and into the wall." Squeezing his eyes shut, he sighed as he added, "Right after that I got teleported somewhere else, so I couldn't actually check his body, but, come on. A bullet to the head... That tends to be fatal." I looked at him in surprise, and then frowned.