Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

The towering vampire had Parvati by the neck. There was no doubt in Harry's mind that was what he was. The angular muscles on his bare torso shone in the dim torch light, filthy feet peaked out from worn through leather trousers, his sallow face was triumphant. He rolled his skinhead, making his neck crack. Black swirling tattoos shone against his translucent skin. 

Harry took all this in as he, Malfoy and Hermione spun on their heels, wands drawn for the fight. The vampire thrust his palm into Seamus' chest, forcing him to stumble backwards into the other three. Parvati screamed again and dug her nails into the fiend's wrist but to no avail. 

"Let me go!" she gulped, tears streaming down her face as the vampire yanked at her neck. 

"Let her go or we will kill you," shouted Harry, his mind racing. How had he got in, how had he crept up on them like that. 

The vampire hissed through a malevolent looking grin. "I am disappointed in you, young man," he said in a thick German accent laced with amusement. "I'm afraid you do not have permission to be here." 

"How did you get in here?" Harry asked, putting himself between the creature and Hermione. "The Sphinx-" 

"Did not like the speed with which you guessed her clue," finished the vampire politely. His manner reminded Harry of the way German officers used to be portrayed in those old war films his Uncle Vernon would watch on Sunday evenings; like a viper, smiling with glittering eyes, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. "I believed she is now in the mood for some human supper, and I was happy to oblige." He bowed ever so slightly.  

Harry could feel that lump of panic in his throat again as the vampire stared calmly at him. He still had the weapons Malfoy had given them earlier, but he didn't want to risk any sudden movements reaching for anything. Besides, he wouldn't be able to get close enough to use a stake without endangering Parvati.  

"Get OFF me!" she shrieked, swinging her legs and pulling at his hand around her throat. He responded by taking his other hand, and wrapping it around her burnt and bandaged arm, and she instantly fell limp as she screamed in pain.  

"Stop it!" cried Hermione. 

The vampire looked affronted. "While I'm having so much fun?" he asked. 

"If you kill her," said Malfoy sternly. "There will still be four of us and one of you. Give it up while we're still willing to let you walk away." 

"Ha!" barked the vampire with genuine delight. "You believe me to be frightened of a few little mortal children? How endearing. I am most certain I can break her neck before you even take a step." 

"But you haven't yet, have you?" said Malfoy darkly. "If you really thought you could take us all down that easy you'd have done it the moment you arrived." He actually smiled, and Seamus looked at him in horror.  

"Don't goad him, he'll just fight!" he hissed at Malfoy, before turning to address the vampire. "Tell us what it is you'd like?"  

The vampire shrugged, amused. "To eat you, little poet," he said. "I prefer the taste of females, so I will enjoy the two you have so thoughtfully provided for me, then drag the rest of you back for my friend. Bit," he grinned. "By bit." 

Hermione recoiled and shoved her hands into her pockets. Only Harry was watching her, so he hoped no one else was aware of how still she became suddenly, her eyes wide and turning to Harry. Was that a hint of a smile he saw?  

Harry recognised that look, even if he didn't know what it meant. All he knew was Hermione was on to something. 

"You have no idea who you're dealing with," he said, stalling for time.